Expensive Decoys

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Susky Ducker, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Pastor

Pastor Senior Refuge Member

I have 45 dollars in my goose spread. I've bought used yard sale decoys and even found cheap shells in an antique mall/flea market. I had 15 old flambeau pontoons given to me( I posted a thread about turning them into full bodies) I'm not saying that is normal but I am blessed to have them. I believe if a guy pays attention and doesn't buy into all the marketing gimmicks he can still hunt reasonable. 20170715_161723.jpeg

2. Lowtide

Lowtide Elite Refuge Member

I've seen cheap duck decoys, but where did you find goose silhouettes for $30.00?

3. marshwater

marshwater New Member

I look at the new dekes at Cabelas and Bass Pro all the time. Academy has some that were made after a carved decoy. duck at about 45 or 50. when you can find their geese they're way cheaper than any other. I have hunted over black bleach bottles with some white for wing outline. I have set snow dekes with plastic trash bags. unfortunately, they have seen so many different brands now, they aint that stupid no more. But I have hunted in Ark. over a couple of dozen with a spinner and got tired of killing them. Had to wait for them to get far enough away not to tear them up. Like the man said, get where they want to be and you get ducks or geese. I talked to a guy at Cabelas yesterday and he made the statement that anyone today with a boat and beard thinks they are on of the Robertsons. When they were filming Phil had a spotter up river to let them know when the ducks were on their way. I also know a guy from La. that his dad hired a man to put out 1500 decoys a yr. 2 to 300 in several places. I have dozens of dekes (10 or 12), some classic g&h some limited edition ducks unlimited, some antique paper mache', I dont use the mache of course, but I have for the heck of it. Ducks will decoy to any of them if you are in their living room. So will geese if you hide well enough.

4. AndyM

AndyM New Member

It's not all that bad. Just have to work to find the places and when you finally can...better know where they're at. Otherwise you get some great sunrise pictures! Haha

5. Steve Sheetz

Steve Sheetz New Member

You can buy them straight from the manufacturer on sites like Alibaba for a reasonable price when you order 10 dozen or more.

6. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

Well for the silos look up dive bomb decoys. Mind you that is per 6 like stated in the post it's $60 for a dozen which is how they are sold.

7. fireman1293

fireman1293 Senior Refuge Member

Thats why I always buy Bigfoot originals used. You can usually find them for a decent price and the paint holds up extremely well, usually you only need to upgrade to flocked heads.

Green Duck Truck likes this.
  8. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I have a sharp eye. Many hunters can't tie a decent knot or use too light of anchors or are too trusting of old decoy cord or cheap swivels.

Anywhere that people leave spreads out on public water all season long, you can find lost or stray decoys. I have probably found 250+ over the last 20 years. I found nine in one trip this year and found 15 one day about ten years ago.

There is a steep learning curve to leaving decoys out all season on large bodies of water. The new guys who give it a try usually contribute to my spread.

And I learned the hard way as well. Years ago, we used brass swivels from Walmart and watched five decoys drift away in a couple of hours of hunting after the spread had been out for about two weeks. The swivels just wore through in that short of a time.

9. Lowtide

Lowtide Elite Refuge Member

I haven't heard of those before now. Thanks.

10. Susky Ducker

Susky Ducker Refuge Member