Expensive Decoys

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Susky Ducker, Jul 24, 2017.

1. jhallmark5841

jhallmark5841 Refuge Member

All of yall North of the mason dixon might can get away with the whole cardboad, milk jug, plastic bag, white rag, etc decoy spread but that just doesnt work in these high pressured areas come January at the end of the flyway.
    Its really crazy to see what some of those northern hunters can get away with and still kill limits on ducks and geese early in the season. Halfway brushed in blinds, 3 mojos 12ft off the ground, sounding the furthest thing from a duck and still having birds poop all over them.

2. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

Hmmmmm easiest limits I ever shot were in Arkansas the first week of Janurary. 4 days strait.

You are comparing early season juvies to your late season birds. Of course that's not going to compare anywhere. Pressured and stale birds anywhere are a pain in the azz. It's not limited to geography.

Billy Bob, Huntges11 and Zane like this.
  3. jhallmark5841

Of course not. But it does have to do with geography because late season birds here are a lot different than say late season birds in MN or ND. I kill a lot of birds in January but I cant get away with some of the things people in other states do earlier in the year.

4. buck_master_2001

You are comparing apples and oranges. The same goes for all the way up here. Early season birds and late season birds are too completely different situations. That goes for anywhere.

5. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

The only difference between early and late season is pairing up and changing food needs. The real issue is whether the ducks are new or stale. I can kill ducks in LA in January with a jug spread and the same call I'd use in Saskatchewan in September and Arkansas in December. If they're stale, get where they want to be. If they are new, get where they don't mind going.

Good example to junkyard spreads and blinds that stand out like a sore thumb and still killing ducks in LA is Catahoula.

TheDuckSlayer and Zane like this.
  6. buck_master_2001

That's what I was getting at. Basically stale vs fresh birds. Bad weather(Strong winds/snow/etc)will
    Make even the smartest and most weary birds do stupid things.

7. jhallmark5841

Thats true and I've seen the same thing at Reelfoot too. Brutal blinds and painted jugs everywhere.
    I'm not saying you CANT do it. I'm sure you can on the the right day but I'm not going to chance wasting my time in January with a halfaz spread when I know my odds are better with a little extra effort.

Ringbill and buck_master_2001 like this.
  8. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

All about location and numbers. I've hunted Reelfoot, more some years than others, for over 40 years. The blinds are actually common all over this area, and my take is ducks are less likely to get conditioned to a huge blind than a pit.

The decoy deal is mostly dictated by the scenario. When ducks are stale, whether November or January, they tend to go to tight spots in small bunches.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  9. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Arkansas and LA (and especially Catahoula Lake in LA) are more famous for using jug spreads than anywhere. It doesn't have anything to do with the birds, it's simply because southerners are poor and that's the only way many can afford a large spread.

I do believe that ducks are toughest to kill at the end of the MS Flyway, but that is mostly due to the extreme amount of pressure they get down here. I concur that stale birds are stale, regardless of where they're at.

Ringbill likes this.
  10. Susky Ducker

Susky Ducker Refuge Member

Maryland is below the MD line and people kill ducks all day in the bay with jugs and cartons. And this Yankee would love to sniff what your southern boys in the MS flyway see let alone kill. Its high pressured down there because there are birds. In PA on the river 3 birds is a good day a limit is a great day but most of the times 1 or 2 birds between 3 guys. If you find the birds you can shot limits but the hunters are more secretive than the Fort Knox up here. I cant even ask what county people are seeing birds without getting a snide comment. So whenever you want to switch flyways you let me know. BTW we have birds flare and cant use Mojo's