Expensive Decoys

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Susky Ducker, Jul 24, 2017.

1. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

Think decoys are bad? Look at calls. Talk about overpriced...

Ringbill, ED Vanderbeck, tcc and 2 others like this.
  2. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I know where to look to get them at almost free prices... But I put a $300.00 stainless prop at risk many times so I quit picking up lost decoys on most occasions. I did take the GF out on a break the new rings in boat ride last January where she wanted to look for driftwood. I found nine good decoys on that one trip.

Susky Ducker likes this.
  3. ED Vanderbeck

ED Vanderbeck Senior Refuge Member

back in 2010 we could buy hot buys for ducks unlimited events for 14 dozen from avery now 35 dollars

4. ED Vanderbeck

they are not as good a decoy as then in my opinion

5. mpkowal

mpkowal Senior Refuge Member

I have always bought the best decoys I Can Afford,it's my hobby, I have lived in Las Vegas for 43 years,haven't made a bet in 42 years,don't smoke,don't drink,,don't do drugs,my wives are all dead,I buy good decoys and good fishing gea!!

Ringbill, hyper23 and ED Vanderbeck like this.
  6. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

I think for many the rub is as much the principle of it as it is the actual cost. I mean we're talking about blob of injection molded plastic that usually made in China, half of which leak and the paint falls off within a year or two.
    You can dang near buy a shotgun for what some of these things run for a dozen!

7. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

OK so is that a good thing or a bad thing because I have no idea what the hell that supposed to translate into?

8. Susky Ducker

Susky Ducker Refuge Member

My exact point

9. ED Vanderbeck

I think the first hot buys were a better decoy than what is being produced today just my opinion. I never had issues with paint coming off on any I have bought, the new ones are over priced in my thinking. Guess I am just to old and remember when you could buy them for 1/3 the price

10. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

The principle of what? Same thread we are talking about low quality and then also looking for slammer clearance deals. Why do you think decoys are on clearance? It is typically because they are junk.

Make the investment in burlapped foamers, or higher quality plastics if you want decoys that will last forever. I have a bunch of high quality hand-made wood gunners, guess what, the paint scratches when you knock them together or drag them over the gunnel. And you cry a lot more when someone rakes them, though they don't sink.

If there was a way to produce quality USA made decoys and sell at a price lower than current companies offer, don't you think somebody in this free market would have found a way to make that work?

TheDuckSlayer and GUNNERX2 like this.