extended vs flush-mounted chokes

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Meach, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Meach

Meach Elite Refuge Member

Going to shoot some patterns. But was wondering if in general, extended chokes will give more uniform patterns than flush-mounted. Thanks for your comments.

2. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

Not a the greatest answer-- sometimes Yes and sometimes No. I've seen some really great patterns come from flush mount tubes and some really bad patterns, same goes for a lot of Extended tubes.
    You just have to try out what tubes you have and see how they do for you.
    This is a 1 oz 16 gauge load of steel 4's at 40 yards shot through the factory full flush mount tube,
    I don't think you can ask for much better than that.
    16ga1oz 4's.JPG

California Flyway, ronaldo and JP like this.
  3. ED Vanderbeck

ED Vanderbeck Senior Refuge Member

The biggest advantage is less chance of sticking a tubes due to large steel shot most of constriction is outside the barrel. Just my idea of why they are better

ronaldo likes this.
  4. Joe Hunter

Joe Hunter Senior Refuge Member

Meach -- Here are some pros and cons of extended choke tubes that I put together including:
    1) extended tubes are usually easier/faster to change (usually no wrench needed),
    2) most extended tubes have the choke/constriction printed on the exposed portion (visible when installed) while some flush tubes don’t have notches to indicate choke constrictions when installed,
    3) extended tubes provide muzzle protection from possible muzzle damage (dint) that could make choke removal or instillation difficult,
    4) extended tubes provide additional length which allows for the possibility of different choke geometry and design (ramp angle and length, choke angle and length, parallel section length, porting and endless marketing gimmicks) which may or may not provide improved performance,
    5) extended tubes usually weigh more than flush tubes which may or may not be a good thing for your gun’s balance,
    6) some shooters think the extended tubes look cool and some like the traditional uncluttered look of flush tubes, and
    7) extended tubes are generally more expensive (the choke makers like that).

None of this means extended choke tubes work/perform "better" (whatever that means) than flush chokes. It really depends on the kind of performance you need/want from your chokes and loads for your type of hunting/shooting. However, if you aren't going to take the time to pattern them properly to find out how they really perform then it doesn't really matter, just use what you like.

Good luck!

mudhen, JP and Valleyhonker like this.
  5. Joe Hunter

Joe Hunter Senior Refuge Member

And, here is an example of why you must pattern (using a good repeatable method) if you really want to know how they perform, and if there is any difference in them!

Pattern results from a 12-gauge 3" Remington 870 Special Purpose with a 28" barrel and factory flush Rem-chokes and Carlson extended chokes (pattern average of five, 30" post-shot scribed circle, yardage taped muzzle to target, in-shell pellet count average of five, and true choke constriction from bore gauge).

12 GA 3" WINCHESTER XPERT HI-VELOCITY STEEL LOAD
    1 1/4 oz #2 steel (146 pellets) @ 1,400 fps
    40 YARDS w/ Factory Flush Rem-chokes
    Rem-choke IC (.009" const.) / pattern 76 (52%)
    Rem-choke Mod (.018" const.) / pattern 106 (73%)
    Rem-choke Full (.037" const.) / pattern 118 (81%)

40 YARDS w/ Carlson Extended Chokes
    Carlson Ext IC / Close-Range (.007” const.) / pattern 93 (64%)
    Carlson Ext Mod / Mid-Range (.017” const.) / pattern 106 (73%)
    Carlson Ext Full / Long-Range (.027” const.) / pattern 113 (77%)

Good luck!

6. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

I laughed pretty hard at #5, if the weight of a choke tube throws the balance off on your gun you have O.C.D. big time and I don't mean you, Joe.

Tuleman and 10GAGENUT like this.
  7. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

More 12 OZ curls needed to compensate for the extra ounce and a half of extended choke tube.:l:l:l

Tuleman likes this.
  8. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Extended chokes also offer a place for advertising the manufacturer's name adding to the perceived cool factor, kinda like a mini barrel sticker. :dv

JP likes this.
  9. duck stopper

duck stopper Elite Refuge Member

I color coded the ends of my extended chokes so I wouldn't have to squint to read the constriction. Now, if I could just remember what the colors stand for I'd be good!

Tuleman likes this.
  10. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

I use a magic marker, really big letters!