Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

F&G Wants More Money!

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by swampswimmingshrek, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Peregrine

Peregrine Elite Refuge Member

I haven't been checked yet this year, so if it's a new truck I probably haven't seen it.

I'll confess a total ignorance of wheels and the difference in durability and cost... now, if it had chromed spinners on it I'd have a problem with that.:l

Aftermarket seat covers sound like a wise investment to me given the work they do (And he could have bought them out of his own pocket). We agree on the winch.

IMHO, for an officer that is going to spend a lot of very long days in a truck working for us ... I don't think it's inappropriate for him to have some conveniences to make his job easier and more comfortable. Just my opinion.

They don't do that job for the money. Starting at $15.55/hr after a 4+ year degree? Job description here: http://www.naweoa.org/article.php?sid=460

Just a thought... if you were waterfowl hunting there's a chance that jet boat was owned by the Feds, not IDFG.

2. IDduckshreader

IDduckshreader Refuge Member

Here is an Idea! Why doesn't Idaho F&G turn the Law Enforcement over to the Idaho State Police like Oregon. ISP is a real Law Enforcement Agancy, which is funded by Idaho Legislature through our tax money.

F&G could then take that 9.1 Million dollars and pay for their wages increase, and what ever other projects that they want to use it for that doesn't have to do with improving Idaho hunting and fishing opportunities.

They could take that 9.1M and purchase a bunch of land to create a swamps & refuges in close proximity to the population areas. To increase the waterfowl populations and habitate, plus give hunters better opportunities to harvest birds, including pheasant, quail, not mention mammals, like deer, coons, fox, coyote, and other critters that would use those places.

Do you think if F&G doesn't get the increase, that they are going to not be able to function as they are right now. I think they will be fine, and business as usual. They will have to look somewhere else to get funding for what they need to do.

You all are arguing about material stuff, Well! It is not about F&G, it is about the hunters and fishermen, and how much money they are able to pay for their license and tags, before they decide that they had better stay home and learn to tolerate football.

Why would anyone/agency cut their own throats, by pricing out the one resource that is their bread and butter, the hunters and fishermen.

Gary

3. swampswimmingshrek

swampswimmingshrek Elite Refuge Member

AMEN!! Like I have said before. You weed out the little guys, then weed out the middle class. Then when it comes time for a fight you have no numbers so in the end everyone will lose.

4. offroadbaby

offroadbaby Elite Refuge Member

Nicely put :clap.

Another $400 a year isn't going to kill anyone for something they enjoy. How many guys that are against the increase financed a new vehicle, oversized house they didn't need, boat (or 2 or 3?) in the last couple years? Hell, my monthly truck payment is over $500. Kinda hard to whine about a small increase to do something I enjoy as a "HOBBY" when I drive a brand new truck. If hunting is that important to you all, give something else up. Like T1NMAN said, cable TV, a case of beer a month, movie or fancy wheels. Not eating out for a family of 4, 8 times in a year would make up the difference!
    There's always a way if you want it bad enough. I gave up a camper, atvs and motorcycles for a jet boat and I'm happy as all get out!!;)

5. offroadbaby

6. swampswimmingshrek

swampswimmingshrek Elite Refuge Member

Sounds like a great idea until you start running out of things to give up. And you deside you have to give up hunting.:rolleyes: Then we can thank guys like you that just rolled over and supported it.

7. goosepond

goosepond Senior Refuge Member

Most everyone on here seems to go after how much this small increase is going to impact them but, if all of you will go back and look at the many threads that have been posted in just the last week let alone the past month, I dont know how this increase can affect you. For instance Shrek, in your thread, Let's See your Boats, you say:
    "I'm kicking around some ideas for a new boat. What are you guys running? I want river boats, layout, sneak, what ever I need more."

I dont know what all you have not excpet a topped out jet from the pics ive seen before and from your many posts, so if you cant afford a little money for the increase, as many have posted, and from what all everyone is buying new and to get the top of the line themsleves, then maybe you all should cut back on the items you purchase, like a new duck call (would cover at least one year increase) or a running light or new gun or what ever and let the increase help with habitat improvement or what ever thought out the state.

If everyone hates this increase and adimently oposeses it, then how many will step up and volunteer there time and many additional hours it will take to do a lot of the maintenance etc, that is taking place now that we dont have to do. I have seen many requests for people to volunteer for IWA and F&G to help with nesting structures, clean up islands, and many other things, yet when it comes down to it, very very few have actually helped. If ya look at the many posts not only on the Fudge but the IWA web site, everyone has an excuse to not help, but, if we cut out this very small increase, will you help then? I bet not.

And, no things will not go on as is right now and I bet we, and all dont get the same bang for our buck.

Time to look at all of your posts and the money you spend on things and if you didnt buy just one, it would more than cover any increase that the F&G is requesting.

As for turning the Fish and Game over to ISP, there is not a one of them I would bet that has the schooling to administer or do the job that the F&G guys are doing, and you wouldnt get near the job out of them. If you hate being checked by a CO now, what till you get stopped by ISP, Id bet some of you all have been and hate it now, what till they get ahold of your hunting licenses and do searches etc.

And to correct the statement that the F&G should be turned over to a real law enforcement agency like ISP, least you forget, they attend the same law enforcement academy in Boise as ISP does and hold the same credentials. I dont think that statement holds water, sorry.

100% behind the increase!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. offroadbaby

Now, now SSS. I'm not rolling over, I think the increase is needed & fine. Everything eventually has to raise. F&G asked for an increase 4 yrs ago and got turned down, it's about time they get their share.
    And just how many boats do you have???? What about the new place you're wanting to buy???? You're just as guilty as the rest of us that grew up in the "Barrow it" generation. We've all over stretched our pocket books, some worse than others. I bet not one person on here, no matter what their occupation, would complain about getting a raise. Yet someone has to pay for it. What's the difference?

goosepond...I really like your posts on this and agree with most. HOWEVER, F&G CO's do NOT have the same credentials and training as ISP. F&G go thru POST (Peace Officers Standards & Training) along with ISP recruits, but that's where the similarities stop. ISP goes thru another 12 weeks of absolute hell after that. My class was full of military people and everyone one said ISP's ATC was harder than any traiining they'd been thru.
    Also, ALL law enforcement can perform the same tasks in Idaho. ISP can enforce all F&G laws as well as F&G can enforce all state, county, & local law. The difference is most choose to stay in their "chosen field of expertise." When I was a Trooper I loved to enforce F&G regs. It was something different and fun, especially since I love the outdoors.

9. IDduckshreader

IDduckshreader Refuge Member

Dear Refuge Administation,

Instead of all of this fighting and bickering, because everyone has a different opinion and ways of thinking, Why do you open an opinion poll or a vote right here, that way the number can tell the story.

And that way we can all get along and not fight about how we feel.

Thank You for listening.
    Gary

10. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

IDuckshreader:

A poll is a good idea. Any one of us (including you) can make up a poll. Just start a new thread and as you set up the initial post you can set up a poll. I, too would like to see how the vote shakes down.

I am not sure how I feel about this subject. Guys like me, frankly, can afford it. I am not rich by any means, but as many of you have pointed out, so much of what we spend is discretionary...I would just pull the dollars from something else.

I do, however, worry about the folks who are raising families, just getting by and trying to carry over the hunting tradition. For many of these folks, there will be a ceiling that they are willing to pay. I think we should all be very concerned with hunter recruitment. When our numbers drop and when there are no kids taking up the sport, then we have REAL problems.

I do think that by and large, F&G guys are underpaid for the amount of education they've gone through. And unlike some of you guys, I don't see the wardens around here driving shiny new rigs.

It's a complex issue.