Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

F&G Wants More Money!

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by swampswimmingshrek, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Jacob Hyer

Jacob Hyer Elite Refuge Member

:tu:tu:tu I have been sitting back and riding the fence... I can see both sides... a increase will not hurt me any but it might down the road when my 3 little girls start hunting... we have it cheap compared to most states in the North West. And I don't see Wardens running around my area with Nice New Rigs or Boats also... but I know there is some Fat that can be cut... but that is with everything in life in these times...

Jake

2. Ducks Doom

Ducks Doom Elite Refuge Member

Gill said it best

I am definatly still on the fence here as well. I can afford the extra money but I definatly worry about the little guy who has three boys that won't be able to afford it.

3. Peregrine

Peregrine Elite Refuge Member

I agree with the concerns about the costs to families. But... Has anyone noticed that under the new proposal, basic hunting and fishing for a family will cost less? The current costs for an adult combo license and 2 junior combo licenses is $63.25. Under the proposed prices it would be $6 less, $57.25.

If that same family wanted to hunt deer too, the total price increase would be exactly $1 from current prices.

The waterfowl harvest info permit increase to $3 each does bother me though, since the data for that is frequently collected by a store clerk that wouldn't know a coot from a goose and may offer to "just put some numbers in for you." I have doubts about the value of that program.

4. Trav28

Trav28 Elite Refuge Member

Good point. I've also wondered about the accuracy of it. You asking people to remember exactly how many birds they killed. Granted for me, that's not a difficult task, but I can see how it could be for others. Plus, what's stopping people from exagerating the numbers?

5. swampswimmingshrek

swampswimmingshrek Elite Refuge Member

haha yeah I know what you mean cause when they ask me about coots I say 1200-1500.....I might shoot 2 a year. :l

6. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Never thought about that...you're standing in line at the Sporting Goods store with a couple of other people in line. You're asked how many birds you killed last year. You gonna tell the truth and say you shot 9 ducks or are you going to "inflate" the number to 70? Food for thought...could skew harvest numbers upward.

7. goosepond

goosepond Senior Refuge Member

Thanks offroad, I stand corrected. They must have changed some of the standards for F&G since i last worked with them before I retired. Thanks for the info.

8. IFSteve

IFSteve Elite Refuge Member

I just got a copy of the FY 2008 Fleet Management Report for the F&G. In talking to the fleet manager here is the F&G general policy on vehicle replacement.

They target replacing vehicles at around 75-80,000 miles. Based upon the fleet prices that they pay this is a decent sell point where they maximum the initial investment versus what they can get back from the auction.

To back this up here is the vehicle cost per mile use (not counting fuel) for 1/2 ton pickups. In 2002 it ran the department 9.70 cents per mile. In 2008 this figure dropped down to 7.38 cents per mile. Fuel costs went up during that same period from 8.92 cents per mile to 18.74 cents per mile.

Another intersting fact:

As of June 30 the department had 280 1/2ton pickups with an average of 50,000 miles on them.

If anybody is interested send me your email address and I will forward the report.

Steve

9. IFSteve

IFSteve Elite Refuge Member

The F&G put together a report for the IWA to give waterfowlers an idea of the things that the Department has done the last several years to benefit waterfowl and waterfowl hunting in Idaho.

Interesting stuff. I tried attaching it but it is a pdf file. If you are interested in reading it send me a pm and I will forward the email to you.

10. Trout

Trout Refuge Member

$65.00 for a Raptor Captive Breeding Permit! We're getting hosed.