F250 6.0 exhaust

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by cholt, Nov 7, 2017.

1. marsh man dan

marsh man dan Elite Refuge Member

Mbrp my mistake. Not really much except when you got in the throttle wasn't really loud just made it sound better

2. marsh man dan

marsh man dan Elite Refuge Member

Allot of the noise is how big exhaust and tip you run that's why I didn't go crazy and I think the huge exhausts on trucks look stupid just my option though

3. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I can’t find any vehicle, stupid *** Honda Civics even, that sound worse than a Cummins with one of those aftermarket gigantic exhausts. That PSD sounded great with just a factory exhaust. Those things sound like poo. I sure hope they sound better from inside the truck than they do outside of it.

marsh man dan likes this.
  4. awaldro7

awaldro7 New Member

No matter what you put on it, it wont be loud due to the vgt turbo. I have had 2 6.0s and one had 4" straight pipe from the turbo all the way back to a 6" tip, and my current one has 5" pipe from the turbo back to a 6" tip. No cats, mufflers or anything. Is not obnoxious at all. The only time it gets loud is at full throttle when the vanes in the turbo open all the way up and then it sounds mean as can be. Don't be scared of the 6.0. they are great trucks when well maintained. Always run synthetic oil in it, never exceed 5,000 mile oil changes, never exceed 10,000 mile fuel filter changes, use ONLY ford motorcraft fuel and oil filters (NO EXCEPTIONS EVER!), do not run any tuner other than SCT.

5. stevena198301

You forgot to add you must also bulletproof it by removing the heads and installing better head studs, remove and cap the EGR, etc. Oh, and even at 5000 mile oil changes (to the tune of $300 a pop for oil, filters and fuel filter, which was once a month for me), your injectors will still poop out because they are and always were pieces of poop made by Siemens. Mine did, and I am religious about oil changes. After they needed swapped again, I traded it for a different vehicle.

6. awaldro7

awaldro7 New Member

The OP said that the head studs and EGR work is already completed. Being religious about oil changes on a 6.0 only matters if you run the right oil. What oil were you running in the 6.0? What was your FICM voltage?

7. stevena198301

I ran Motorcraft oil initially, it being "for Fords", and all. Then, when I started having problems, I ran Rotella, per a few diesel mechanics recommendations. I have no idea what the voltage on the module was. I never checked it or thought to ask, and noone ever mentioned it to me. What I don't get is this: Every mechanic I talked to parroted what you said above; "Ford 6.0s are GREAT motors, as long as you do this, that, those, and the others, things". That IS NOT a "great" motor... A great motor works without needing tons of modifications. It may be a great block. It may be a great motor once you tinker with it. But a great motor from the factory it ain't. My personal opinion, the 7.3s were much better, but much lower powered motors (without a turbo). A 7.3 with a turbo seemed hard to beat as far as Ford/International diesel engines went. I am hearing good things about the 6.7s too.

When my 6.0 ran right, it ran great! That just wasn't often enough to be deemed "reliable". Had to be a nice day outside. Had to be warm. But hey, at least it wasn't like the 6.4 setup where you had to remove the cab of the truck to work on most of it. What a stupid design... :doh