Fabarms XLR5 Waterfowler

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Alldrakes, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Alldrakes

Alldrakes Elite Refuge Member

Who has one and what are your thoughts ?

2. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

They can't be much of a shotgun with the resident shotgun netspurt over at another site fawning over it all the time.

bustsducks likes this.
  3. Snake Oil

Snake Oil New Member

I recently bought one with 28 inch barrel. I've shot one box of 2 3/4 inch shells and it shoots nice. It shoulders well and recoil is minimal. The long flat black rib creates a good sight picture. I look forward to shooting ducks and geese with it.

4. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

My XLR5 Sporting shoots wonderfully with it's tapered barrel going from .740 to .725 and the 5 chokes that came with it , does give me many options !
    Thinking the Waterfowler should be a really nice gun with the same options , with any type of shot density , if it fits you ?

5. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

While it's a nice looking shotgun, for the price there are many, more proven waterfowl guns.
    (I always thought Franchi was a value-priced brand. I guess not?)

JP likes this.
  6. Ravenanme

You're right but even tho I have several (waterfowl) semi auto shotguns I continually grab one of my old 870's or Mod 12's , it's something about not
    fooling around , when it comes to reliability in the marsh ! There's no thought about , what choke tube is in the gun as they're all fixed choked and even
    tho they have 30" barrels , a reaction shot at a Teal buzzing the decoys is in great danger 80 % of the time .
    I'm a believer , shoot what you shoot best and to refine it a little more , take time to use the patterning board !

callinfowl and JP like this.
  7. Alldrakes

Alldrakes Elite Refuge Member

Anything more ? ?

8. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

FABARMS is the same company that was making shotguns for Heckler & Koch back in the 1990's, when H&K severed ties with FABARMS owners of the guns basically got hung out to dry with warranty and parts service. I wouldn't buy one just for that reason.

JP likes this.
  9. Ravenanme

The performance of a tapered barrel seems to be , in reverse of what has been proven to be better shooting steel shot ?
    Its action design is , a proven design and very easy to clean but IMHO , one of the three B's would be better , unless it was
    Wingmaster or a Mod 12 !

JP likes this.
  10. Fiestdog

Fiestdog New Member

Fabarms makes a very high quality shotgun and their Waterfowler will hold up just as well as any of the "B" guns. Don't buy into if it is not one of the B guns it will not hold up. I have personally owned and shot most of the brands along with the Fabarms and we abuse them through waterfowl season here in Arkansas in both fields and flooded timber. The Fabarms will keep shooting both dirty and wet. Their customer service is also first class. Talk to anyone that actually owns a Fabarms and they will tell you it is a quality built gun. Break a Beretta and see how long it takes you to get through customer service and get your gun back. Not bashing Beretta or Benelli, and I still own some of their guns, but they are not some kind of flawless magical shotgun that never breaks. If you want total reliability for waterfowl hunting get yourself one of the older Remington 870 Special Purpose guns and you will be passing it down to your kids later in life. Go to the gun store and shoulder all of them and buy the one that fits you and that you like.