Fairbanks fishing

Discussion in 'Alaska Flyway Forum' started by kmpots, Jul 21, 2012.

1. kmpots

kmpots Refuge Member

Hello,
    Heading to Fairbanks on short notice the week of July 30th for a few days. Bringing my young boy for his first trip and am looking for some general places to start our search in pursuit of fly fishing for some grayling. Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Sincerely,
    Kyle
    kmpots@yahoo.com

2. Ray

Ray Senior Refuge Member

The easiest to get to would be the chena river. Go many miles up tithe hot springs road to the chena rec area and fish the pools.

A longer road trip would be down the Richardson to Paxton and then into the tangle lakes area.

3. Moosetrot

Moosetrot Elite Refuge Member

X2 on the Chena Road! My wife and I were up there in '08 and had unbelievable Grayling fishing right around mile 47-49, on the north side of the road. There's a pull-off there.

Probably not the only spot but it sure was good for us! Have fun while you're showing your son a great ime in Alaska!

Moosetrot

4. kmpots

kmpots Refuge Member

Thank you both for some places to start. I believe the Chena is the route we will go. I can't explain how excited my boy is. Great appreciation for the responses/suggestions!

5. RiverRambler

RiverRambler Elite Refuge Member

Like others have mentioned, fishing on the Chena is really good. If you're dedicating a day to fishing, I'd look into renting a boat and driving down to Delta and fishing the Delta Clearwater. The fishing is insanely good and has some monsters. If you go to the Clearwater you won't regret it.

6. Merganser Sluicer

Merganser Sluicer Elite Refuge Member

Here is the same prescription from a different angle (pun intended). Good luck to you!

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com.../arctic-char-on-the-chena-river-alaska.80565/

:)

7. Moosetrot

Moosetrot Elite Refuge Member

Merganser-

Geez, does that bring back some great memories! My wife and I fished a spot somewhere between Mile 47 and 49. There is a pullout there right near a deep hole. We caught Grayling after Grayling then the light rain became a downpour and I had to take the camera back to the vehicle. I came back and then caought the biggest Grayling of my life...now pictures but the memory is there. We watch a big old King work his way up thorugh the shallows, too.

kmpots-I hope you and your son have a fiahing memory of a lifetime, too!

Moosetrot

8. Woodduck31

Woodduck31 Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I think I missed the timing since the poster is already gone. Interesting the mile markers being given are so close to what I remember as a real honey hole. However we fished on the south side of the road. There was a single car pull off and I think it was mile 41 or 43. We found it on a float trip, back in 1981. We hadn't had any luck fishing till we got to this spot and fished only on the main river channel the first time. My dad caught a tagged 18 inch fish, it had a orange/red ribbon in it's dorsal. My dad was visiting for a couple of weeks, so we tried to get him out another time or two, but decided just to drive and walk and see how close we could come to a spot we had only seen from a canoe. As luck would have it, we stepped out of the car and walked about 100 feet and were on top of the spot we had previously fished. After fishing the spot for an hour or so with little luck, I found a little side channel at the top of the area and followed it into a massive back eddy where the photo was taken. Grayling were stacked in there by the hundreds. I had another friend come up to visit and we took him there on the 4th of july and he went nuts, he sold me that he was going to fish until it got dark.:l he came dragging in at about 7am, but had a smile on his face. I had read in the alaska magazine many years ago that the grayling numbers had really dropped, but talked to a friend who lives on chena pump road on the river that they were very strong now. I hope the guy does well, they are a lot of fun to catch. Caught my first grayling on the Chatanika River back in 1969. I hope to get back up there next summer and catch a few more. We didn't do nearly as well once the salmon runs started, I guess so many eggs in the river and probably should have switched to fishing with eggs.

[​IMG]

9. Tundradux

Tundradux Senior Refuge Member

Hope you had a great trip! The grayling fishing has been great lately!

10. kmpots

kmpots Refuge Member

Fished several days from miles 44-49 and had great success on elk hair caddis, mosquitos and Griffiths gnats. Random rises all week long, so dry flies primary focus. Switched to bead headed prince nymphs to mix it up and had equal success.

Moved further along to the west fork the last day and fell in love with this stretch. However; my last day for three hours there was a minor hatch of blue duns. The fish would turn on all my original options, until I switched to a size 18 BLO. It was lights out from that point on.
    Thank you for all the input. My boy experienced a dry fly experience that will be tough to match.
    Sincerely,
    Kyle