Fanning Turkeys Pt. 1

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by Hard Core Brands, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Hard Core Brands

Hard Core Brands Senior Refuge Member

2. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

...should be outlawed.

This is a word association game, isn't it?

Hard Core Brands likes this.
  3. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

4. marsh-mello

marsh-mello Elite Refuge Member

Not for me...not even a considered strategy. This kind of turkey hunting does nothing for me. I guess if I just wanted to kill one and tried everything else and was so desperate I just had to have one, I might be the kind of guy to try it.

Part three.....how to pick a plastic surgeon and the dangers of lead poisoning. :dv:dv

What others do is not a concern of mine.

5. pointblind

pointblind Elite Refuge Member

Fanning is awesome. Having a late season, midday, hen-ed up Tom come at you on a sprint is such a rush. Last year I had a Tom withing 3' of my gun barrel and hens on all sides while army crawling with a fan I cut off a bird from earlier in the year.

Dakota Fanning--- meh

6. bill cooksey

First time I did it was a rush. Second time, same thing happened with the bird, but I didn't feel "right," and that was long before many people had heard of the technique. Just felt like I'd used a dirty trick to beat a bird. The rush is undeniable, the satisfaction though is very much lacking for me.

Hard Core Brands and Jawbreaker like this.
  7. Hard Core Brands

Hard Core Brands Senior Refuge Member

8. bill cooksey

I really do wish folks would quit promoting the technique. That said, glad y'all touched on safety. One thing worth noting is YOU CAN NEVER BE CERTAIN YOU ARE ALONE EVEN ON PRIVATE PROPERTY. I know one game warden who has already written over thirty citations for trespass this spring, and he's had far more calls than that when the party got away with it.

Odds are, you are sharing the woods with a poacher far more than you realize. When you think you are safest could truly be when you are most at risk. Could pay to keep that in mind whether you "fan" or not.

stevena198301 and mister gadwall like this.
  9. mister gadwall

mister gadwall Senior Refuge Member

^^^^^^^ the "trick" will persevere until a few very costly lawsuits against the decoy makers make the sale of these products too economically risky, and some sad funerals make people understand how dangerous this tactic really is.

stevena198301 likes this.
  10. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

Had a non-turkey hunting buddy at work talking about the Mojo Scoot-N-Shoot this morning. He claimed it was the best thing since sliced bread, etc, etc... I laughed at him, and told him pretty much the same things Bill Cooksey and Mister Gadwall said. He couldn't understand why I'd say that, and why I wouldn't hunt that way. :doh

FWIW, he is an expert non-turkey hunter/innernet assassin. :l