Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Farmers are taking control of hunting

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by Backpeddler, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Backpeddler

Backpeddler Elite Refuge Member

So there is a bill being sponsored that will require the DNR to establish a deer firearms season that would include two weeks in early November. Two weeks late November in to December as it currently exists and then all of January. This bill would require the seasons to be in existence for the next 5 years beginning this fall.

During my time on the WAC it was evident that the farm bureau representative was voicing the farmers wish to eradicate the deer population. If this passes the science in deer management and in wildlife management will no longer exist. I plan to be in Annapolis tmw for the blaze orange day. It is sponsored by the Maryland Hunting Coalition. You can dislike or not agree with some of what the orgs do or support ie MDWFA, MHC, DU etc. But you better get behind them or your ability to hunt will be gone!

2. carolina girl

carolina girl Elite Refuge Member

what is the bill number, where can we read it?

3. Backpeddler

Backpeddler Elite Refuge Member

4. shoot-straight

shoot-straight Senior Refuge Member

thanks for heads up. not a fan of that proposal for sure. is the MHC in favor of the bill, or just blaze orange day?

5. carolina girl

Thanks Jeff. I have mixed feelings about it. Farmers can already shoot deer with a rifle all year long, just antlerless.

I've always thought the seasons were dumb. Give me 13 deer and what ever weapon I want. Once I harvest my 13 deer, I'm done for the year. Id take the whole month of November off.

Mr_Mallard likes this.
  6. Farmer hunter gatherer

Farmer hunter gatherer Refuge Member

Yeah. Just like the rest of you we have jobs. Even though that job is farming. What do you think we have time to just sit around and shoot deer all the time with crop damage permits. Some of us could really use a longer regular season. I have a hard time getting people to cones for shoot deer when they need to be shot. Also when is the last time you lost money at your job because of the weather or because of animals. Try growing a field of strawberries where there are deer and see what happens.

7. Dirtybird420

Dirtybird420 Senior Refuge Member

If there's that many deer on your farm I feel it shouldn't be that hard to kill a few. If u need help killing deer feel free to send me a permission slip. You farmers can't charge big bucks to hunt your farms and also use crop damage permits. Maybe if some of you guys just gave permission to hunt for free you wouldn't have this problem. I'm not gonna pay 1000 dollars a year to shoot does. I can do that on public.

8. Farmer hunter gatherer

Farmer hunter gatherer Refuge Member

Seriously. Think about it not everybody allows hunting. Then those sanctuaries become deer havens. Then the deer come out all night and eat what they want. Come daylight there back where no one can hunt. Not every farmer owns so much land that they can rent it out. Hunting season is sometimes the only time when deer move off some if those protected places because their food source is diminished and if it cold line it's supposed to be then they are in constant search mode for food. If the state is going to protect the deer herd then they should be compensating for the damage they do. That is why they want to get numbers way down. The farm burea has been arguing for compensation for years. If you don't want to shoot truckloads of deer on your farm then don't but don't tell me I can't if it is costing money. Just come and look at my sweet corn fields in July and august where there should've a thousand dozen sometimes your lucky to get 200. At 5 a dozen that's a pike of cash.

Keith McGowan likes this.
  9. Dirtybird420

Dirtybird420 Senior Refuge Member

Well the safe havens are gonna stay safe havens regardless of bag limits or seasons. So what is it gonna fix. The rest of the states seasons n limits shouldn't get based off of the deer in places you can't hunt. Just cause you have a gun in your hands for more days doesn't mean your gonna kill more deer if you can't hunt there. An in my situation I shoot a lot less deer with a gun than a bow because of added pressure from gun season n deer go nocturnal.

10. carolina girl

I see you guys mow down acres of sweet corn you didn't pick because you cant sell it. Farmers already have the means to control the deer. Your also insured for your losses.

....but, hey.....I'm all for a 2 month gun season, especially the entire month of November! Tired of all the spoiled kids having all the fun with rifles smack dab in the middle of the rut! I wanna have fun too