Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Farmers are taking control of hunting

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by Backpeddler, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Trailman

Trailman Elite Refuge Member

All the extra days really mean crap in the scheme of things because only less than 1% of hunters would actually take part. Everyone is getting the vapors over nothing, acting like its going to be a shooting melee.

And as far as the comment on the reasons why the population's become stable because of all the hunting allowed now I think is BS. According to the harvest reports the take has averaged between 90 and 100 thousand a year steady. There is more environmental factors to the herd than there are hunting AND it might be quite possible that the lands reached its carrying capacity.

http://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/Documents/md_annual_deer_report14-15.pdf

If anyone were serious about "reducing the herd" for farmers anyone with damage permits would be required to enroll in a program that would match hunters with farmers. I suggested this years ago and it fell on deaf ears. Run it through the managed hunt program and add a NICS check to it to vet the applicants and your good to go. You get the list. The biggest problem with deer management in the state is access, and its dwindling.

2. Archeryrob

Archeryrob Elite Refuge Member

Right, they need to work on access and the 50 yard archery safety zone for all counties. Environmental groups are pushing right now for more "Buffer zones" for housing projects. That is just going to make the deer problem worse. Even out here in Washington we have these anti hunting people trying to cut access. My neighbor has 10 rescue dogs and doesn't want the deer hurt and the farmer wants them thinned. He can't control me or the other neighbor, but he'd like too, if he could.

3. Scotty

Scotty Elite Refuge Member

Access is the major issue- not limits or seasons.
    Not only can many farmers get reimbursed for part of or all of their lost crops, they can also offset it with high lease fees and maybe make money off of another natural resource- the deer.
    I find it a little tiring hearing these people b and moan about this, yet do not allow people to hunt that are willing to kill a few deer for them. As of now, landowners are not held responsible for the people hunting on their land, per DNR regulations- it's all about money.

4. carolina girl

carolina girl Elite Refuge Member

I keep hearing about this 50yd buffer, I don't want to hunt 50yds from a house.....especially 50yds from people that may not want me there

Scotty likes this.
  5. gooseshot

gooseshot Refuge Member

Don't worry this won't be a issue in the near future when all the farms will be covered in solar panels.
    I hope I'm wrong but with Maryland pushing for renewable energy (wind, solar) its almost certain to happen.

6. Scotty

Scotty Elite Refuge Member

Right- and California will fall
    Off of the earth, the sky will fall and the Canadians will stop being nice...:
    Just curious, do you have a bomb shelter?

7. gooseshot

gooseshot Refuge Member

Scotty my comment had a little sarcasm in it. However I do believe that at some point you will see some farms convert from crops to solar fields. Think about it, if a energy company came to you with a offer to lease your farm for solar panels that was equal to or more then you could make on crops would you take it? I bet 90% of farms would.

8. MDfowler

MDfowler New Member

Hopefully they wouldn't...

While solar energy is popping up all over the country and these companies are mainly targeting small farms because of the front end dollar figure is very appealing to someone who is making little revenue cropping it comes at a big cost to the "farm" itself. I believe once you reach a certain number of panels or the farm is converted into a "solar farm" per say it is then zoned as an industrial parcel of land meaning it could never be converted back to farmland again.

Also, many of these big companies don't have waste disposal coverage on solar panels (which are considered toxic waste) so when there 20yr lifespans are up and they breakdown, or a natural disaster happens landowners can be stuck the cost of waste removal. Which I guarantee will be $$$ since they cannot be recycled in the U.S. and are exported for recycling.

There are plenty of negatives to taking land out of productivity for a solar farm that effects farmers and hunters. So I'd urge anyone considering doing the whole solar conversion thing to do your homework because we are already losing enough Ag land and available hunting land to development as is.

9. chcltlabz

chcltlabz Elite Refuge Member

and I don't want someone I don't know hunting within 50 yards of my house. The law allows you to hunt that close with permission, but sorry, if you don't have the decency to come talk to me about it, you're probably not the kind of person I'd want hunting that close to my house. Talk about giving hunters a black eye.

Scotty likes this.
  10. carolina girl

carolina girl Elite Refuge Member

I agree......I'm not sure how effective this 50yd buffer really is.