Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Farmers are taking control of hunting

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by Backpeddler, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Trailman

Trailman Elite Refuge Member

PA has it statewide, it for archery only. I know lots of places I can bowhunt and they are all between 75-125 yards ish and you would never know I was there.

2. mdmallard

mdmallard Refuge Member

I can tell you that the 150 yard buffer is AWFUL in suburban areas. I live in Howard County and I have 3.5 acres and can't bow hunt on my property, because the furthest corner of my property is 140ish yards from my neighbors house. They have young children and are already scared about me practicing with my bow in my backyard. There is a 25 acre horse farm behind me and all the lots in the neighborhood are minimum 3 acres. There are sooo many deer in the neighborhood. I have seen more than 30 deer in one yard one night while driving home. Ohh... and I have gotten Lyme disease twice since moving here two years ago. Howard County is trying to get the distance shortened to 50 or 100 yards. I would like to see it go down to 100 yards.

Attached Files:

3. carolina girl

carolina girl Elite Refuge Member

boy, I bet in hind sight, you'd of liked to of bought the house at the end of that culdesac

Allan likes this.
  4. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

I thought the 150 yard buffer was for shooting in Maryland unless you had permission from the nearest landowners. Are you saying howard county has a 150 yard buffer for bow hunting? I know many communities have bylaws about hunting and shooting regardless of the distance between the homes.

5. Trailman

It was 150 yards everywhere including bow hunting unless you have permission to hunt closer by the occupant. Back about whenever years ago we got legislation passed to reduce that to 50 yards in Frederick county for bow hunting and it's taken off county by county over the years. It definitely lets you hunt areas where you might not be able to. For example I have 25 acres, I have to sit nearly in the dead center of it to gun hunt, the reduced bow yardage give you much more flexibility. Especially most times from that "one" problematic person. I find it interesting that anyone would complain about this especially considering the basic unfairness of the current blind site system.. FWIW we made our case with Pa. Pa. enacted this for the greater Philadelphia and Pittsburgh areas first, then the rest of the state.

6. carolina girl

You have 25 acres, and your having a hard time hunting it?

Or, you just cant hunt where you want to on your 25 acres?

25 acres is a lot of land to claim you can not hunt

7. Trailman

Where the F did I say that? Look up the term illustrative example. If you call 150 yard zone on my property I have to sit dead center in it not to extend over the borders. There are a lot of places people can't hunt because of that one neighbor, the 50 yard zone get us into more areas. :tu

8. carolina girl

I guess I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that you have 25 acres, and you cant get 150 yds from someones house? That's one messed up parcel

So, the deer are walking 50 yds from a neigbors house but not 50 yds from yours?

9. carolina girl

An acre, is equivalent to one football field, and you have 25 football fields.

10. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

It isn't 150 yards from your property lines, it's 150 to a dwelling

MDbowman likes this.