Favorate Birds to Hunt

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by kodyb, Mar 5, 2004.

1. kodyb

kodyb Senior Refuge Member

List your favorate upland bird to chase after. here are my top three.
    1. Quail
    2. Pheasant
    3. Sharptail grouse

2. 28GA/DD

28GA/DD Senior Refuge Member

#1. Bobwhite Quail #2. Pheasant

3. Chopper

Chopper Senior Refuge Member

Bobwhite then snipe. Wish we had more of a selection down here.

4. Scott B

Scott B Senior Refuge Member

1. Blue Grouse
    2. Sharpies
    3. Sage Grouse
    5. Chukar
    4. Quail
    5. Pheasants
    6. Ruffed Grouse

5. Gringopistolero

Gringopistolero Elite Refuge Member

Hmm. FAVORITE.

Welp, the most CHALLENGING upland bird I've ever hunted would have to be either Chukar or Mountain Quail. Mostly because of where they live.

The COOLEST might have to be the prairie chicken. Hunted them the "old fashioned" way in Kansas a few years ago, sat in a cornshuck blind in a feeding field when they came winging in at sunup. Very challenging shooting and beautiful native American birds.

The upland bird I would LIKE to hunt most, if I could find an area that's holding some, would be woodcock. Principally cause I've never done it.

My old dog's favorite hunting is flushing up snipe for me to shoot (or, more often miss) with my little .410 pump.

But I guess my FAVORITE, all things considered, has to be the old common everyday rooster pheasant. After opening day I think they're probably the shrewdest of the upland birds, and the flush stops your heart for a second if they're close. Hard to imagine anything prettier and right up there in the eating category, too.

6. Cascade Hunter

Cascade Hunter Elite Refuge Member

About 2 miles from Viola, OR (pop 23 people)
    Ruffed Grouse.

7. Drathaar

Drathaar Senior Refuge Member

Easy answer, which ever season is open. Answer with more thought, toss up between the bombers, chuckar and roosters. They each have qualities making them a fun hunt. Fortunately for me, can find all three with huns and quail in the same hunt. Unfortunately they aren't open at the same times...

8. Kessler

Kessler Senior Refuge Member

1.Ruffed Grouse 1.Waterfowl 1.Turkey My favorite hunting is bird hunting. :cool:

9. woodsboy

woodsboy Refuge Member

Ruffed Grouse. Then Pheasant and Gambles Quail in the desert when I can get down there.

Michael

10. Woodduck31

Woodduck31 Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

without a doubt greater prairie chicken.

I haven't got to hunt them in 13 years since moving to Idaho and really miss it. Growing up in Kansas it was a yearly ritual as big as opening of pheasant for me and my dad. At least until they started the early season in sept. that about ruined it for us.

Very unique hunting experience that required a lot of scouting and planning. The birds given normal weather would come to the feed at the same time each day on virtually the same route, and repeat the same thing in the evening. They rarely flew high enough to be out of range, but you had to be under them when they passed. They fly deceptively fast with a pump and glide style. They would change their route as hunting pressure increased, so the scouting was done on a regular basis.

fall tilling has hurt them bad, along with the increased number of hawks, in addtion they need native prairie to breed, but it really started to go down hill with the early fall season.

Now my least favorite would be mountain chukar, there is something demonic about those birds.:l

this photo was my first, 1969, and my third year trying to get one.