Big Game Hunting Forum Sponsors

Favorite brand of bow....

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by Joe Dirt, Jan 15, 2004.

Which brand do you prefer?

1. Hoyt

14 vote(s)
    21.9%
  2. Matthews

17 vote(s)
    26.6%
  3. Martin

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  4. other...

19 vote(s)
    29.7%
  5. Browning

2 vote(s)
    3.1%
  6. PSE

11 vote(s)
    17.2%
  1. woodieblaster

woodieblaster Elite Refuge Member

That was with just a rest on the bow. No other string alterations. With my hunting rig on it now i got 301 or 300. The factor certificate on it said 315 with a 28" draw length. They test every bow that comes out of their factory and put one of those cards on them. I wasnt bashing what u said either. I just feel that speed does matter. Everyone talks about take 40 yard shots on deer and you are going to be very lucky if you get a complete pass through with 260 or below FPS at that yardage.
    WB

2. Whitetail Freak

Whitetail Freak Refuge Member

My point wasn't that speed doesn't matter either. I want to shoot as fast a bow as possible that still has some forgiveness. A flatter shooting arrow will no doubt help out if yardage is slightly misjudged to. Speed and kenitec energy are big factors in my hunting setup. I just wanted to make the point about the advertised speed being wrong most of the time.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your new bow.

3. kjrice

kjrice Elite Refuge Member

Bottom line is: use whatever makes your boat float. IMO, try to find the best combination of speed, axle length, smoothness, forgiveness and silence. Either way you go on the spectrum you take away from the other.
    1. more radical (speed): = less forgiving, smoothness and quietness.
    2. smaller axle to axle = more pinch and less forgiveness.
    3. less speed = more trajectory and less pop on extended ranges. NOTE! speed does not necessarily equate to energy at impact. Arrow weight is part of the equation.
    4. more axle to axle = bigger bow to negotiate in the outdoors.
    5. Overdraws = the more the less forgiving, but greater speed.

yada-yada-yada

4. woodieblaster

woodieblaster Elite Refuge Member

Good assessment kjrice.

only thing i disagree with is.......
    Axel to axel is just a stupid selling point that makes no difference. WHen are you hunting somewhere that a 38" bow will be more cumbersome than a 32" bow? Either one is going to be just as bad. Its just something that adds pintch to your string your not really gaining anything from it...... but thats my 2 cents....

WB

5. SuperNova

SuperNova Elite Refuge Member

Bowtech's speed ratings are measured with what comes on them. This includes: sting silencers, cable silencers, and limb silencers. Not a bare bow!:D

6. SuperNova

SuperNova Elite Refuge Member

P.S. I was told this, so I am not 100% positive;) :sp

7. BULL WACKER

BULL WACKER Senior Refuge Member

Used to be CLEARWATER but now I like Hoyt.

8. lax

lax Elite Refuge Member

I shoot a Renegade and am really glad I bought it. Bill Wiesner did some of the design work for Mathews bows in the early stages, but Renegades customer service is outstanding and I ain't paying for a bunch of commercials.

Woodieblaster your statement in regards to pass through at 40 yards at 260fps is off, I shot a 225 lbs 7 pointer 2 years ago with 525 grains at 249 fps and the arrow passed clean through at 43 yards. You might need speed for flatter trajectory, but the ultimate combination of speed and weight and broadhead, will give you better penetration. It's like getting hit with a tennis ball, then a baseball by the same guy throwing it. Ones gonna hurt a hell of a lot more.

9. The Duck Whisperer

The Duck Whisperer Senior Refuge Member

I keep saying that impact has to do with kenetic energy, and that comes from your draw weight and limbs. Speed just helps keep a better flight path and also helps retain more energy farther down range.

10. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt Elite Refuge Member

Student at Pensacola Bible Institute, home's in No
    I don't know why I didn't bring that up.........

Speed isn't everthing........you loose out on forgivness for one....not to mention other things.......

Speed for 3D, but not hunting.......

Joe