Favorite brand of bow....

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by Joe Dirt, Jan 15, 2004.

Which brand do you prefer?

1. Hoyt

14 vote(s)
    21.9%
  2. Matthews

17 vote(s)
    26.6%
  3. Martin

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  4. other...

19 vote(s)
    29.7%
  5. Browning

2 vote(s)
    3.1%
  6. PSE

11 vote(s)
    17.2%
  1. woodieblaster

woodieblaster Elite Refuge Member

Again have you ever shot a Bowtech? The are very forgiving bows. And have virtually no hand shock....... That makes no sense that you would want speed for 3D which requires consistency and is set up on hunting situations but not for hunting.... im lost..........:confused: :confused: .......

2. woodieblaster

lax- I'm not saying htat it never happens. But we are talking about high percentage shots. A 43 yard shot shooting with as much of an arch as im sure that shot had is not a high percentage shot. If u hit a rib straight on I'm sure your chances of getting a fast effective kill decrease dramatically. or worse you hit the shoulder blade I dont think its going to go through it.

WB

3. Whitetail Freak

Whitetail Freak Refuge Member

It's KE and razor sharp broadheads that are the key to great penetration. Not speed. Lax has a very high KE set up on his rig. Over 70 lbs of KE. That cannot be acheived unless you shoot a very heavy arrow. Plus a heavy arrow like will keep more speed and KE down range. It will penetrate better at that distance than a lighter faster arrow.

And his shots aren't going to arch much more than anyone elses. No they won't shoot as flat as a bow shooting 285 fps. But the difference isn't as great as you think.

I am middle of the road right now. Fast and fairly high KE. I'll be using Easton's new Axis shafts this year. At a little over 400 grains and about 275 fps I'll get a touch over 65 ft lbs. of KE. That is ideal for me. I could go lighter and faster, and would for shooting targets. But KE is critical for hunting, and the lightest arrow isn't the best choice.

4. woodieblaster

But speed plays a big part in your KE. Obviously you dont want the lightest arrow you can have but i shoot 5 GPI and have some great KE.

WB

5. Whitetail Freak

Whitetail Freak Refuge Member

Of course you're right. Speed does play a big part in KE. But lighter arrows shed energy faster. That 500 grain arrow will hold alot more KE at 40 yards than a 350 will. Momentum is also a big part in penetration. Yet another formula, but not that important when only talking about deer hunting. That arrow that Lax is shooting is fast for how heavy it is.

So if you shoot a 350 grain arrow and the next guy shoots a 525 grain arrow, the KE from the bow may be close. But down range it's no contest, the heavier arrow retains speed and KE better.

I don't shoot a real heavy arrow myself. But I understand why some hunters do. Also I shoot a small shaft, and those Axis shafts sound great. A big fat aluminum won't penetrate as a good as a skinny carbon at the same speed.

To each his own. I know a couple guys that had problems with light arrows in the past. They've switched to real heavy ones now. I've never had a problem with penetration myself. So I'm happy with my set up. I do think an ultra sharp broadhead is more important that arrow weight.

6. woodieblaster

I agree with u. The sharpness is a huge deal. I learned that lesson the hard way this year. I think thats why i lost that doe and she went over half a mile. I realized after that i shot my Arrow that i tested a few times on target without resharpening. So even at 20 yards i dont think i got the penetration i needed when it hit the opposite shoulders shoulder blade.....

WB

7. lax

lax Elite Refuge Member

I am glad that we pretty much agree on this subject of speed and kinetic energy. One thing that I thought I should point out is that the trajectory of an arrow is also effected by where the arrow is shot from ie, treestand or ground level. I will say that 43 yard shot was from a stand 20 feet off the ground and distance was determined with a laser rangefinder from the stand not the ground and this was a shot that I would seldom attempt unless everthing was perfect. Most of my shots are taken at 25 yards and under, but man does the 525 knock the snot out of them when hitting bone.

8. DANNY NEWELL

DANNY NEWELL Elite Refuge Member

I can,t understand what all the talk about speed is all
    about. You guys should be worrying more about accuratey
    I shoot an old PSE with round wheels,30 inch draw,125 grain
    broad head set at about 60 lbs.My arrows are 2315,s.Talk
    about slow.I don,t have any idea how fast it is just how
    accurate it is. Whats neat is sometimes you can see the
    arrow in flight. I also shot a Bear grizzly recurve I bought
    in 1965. I shoot the same arrow setup that I use with the
    PSE. Both of these bow setups have but many deer down.
    You guys need to worry more about getting close and hitting
    the deer in the right spot.When I say close I mean inside
    15 yards.The last deer I shot was 8 yards away and I was on the
    ground.You guys shooting at deer at 40 plus yards amaze
    me.I know a lot of hunters that can shoot real good at
    those ranges,but that takes a whole lot of practice.

DANNY

9. SuperNova

SuperNova Elite Refuge Member

40 isn't too bad.

What is amazing is watching people shot 80yrds and farther.

A friend of mine has an 80 yrd range at his house. Man is he good. :nutz

10. DANNY NEWELL

DANNY NEWELL Elite Refuge Member

SUPERNOVA
    I agree with you on that. I have shot with some friends of
    mine on the 3D course that are excellent long range shots.
    I guess my question is how much energy the arrow has
    beyond 40 yards regardless of the rrow speed?

DANNY