Favorite Decoy Anchor System?

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by GooseBusterBoys, Oct 20, 2017.

1. GooseBusterBoys

GooseBusterBoys Senior Refuge Member

I have been out of the game for 10+ years. What is the best water decoy anchoring system out there now for quick retrieval and storage?

2. Big Ches

Big Ches Elite Refuge Member

Any texas rigs. Make your own or buy them.

Just make sure there is the quick loop by the decoy and not the loop that's at the bottom of the lake like Rig Em Right.

ronaldo likes this.
  3. jzoo

jzoo Senior Refuge Member

I usually use a 16oz mushroom and mono line with a 12" piece of shock cord as a leader. This helps cut down on the jerky motion. When the ducks get excited and start calling and swimming fast the shock cord makes it appear like they aren't tied down.

Banded1 and The_Duck_Master like this.
  4. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

5. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

16 oz tungsten tied to 200lb flurocarbon.

Cheaper options include texas rigs as described above, longlines for divers, rubber leaders to hold the weight to the keel. I personally like tarred cord to 8oz mushrooms. You can get fast with it.

6. warrenwaterfowler

warrenwaterfowler Senior Refuge Member

I really like my texas rigs...5ft 400# mono with 8oz egg sinkers. They transport and store great...only downside is can't hunt deeper water with them. That's what friends decoys are for i guess.

ronaldo likes this.
  7. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

It really depends on water depth and whether your in flat water or setting up in current. Whether your decoys have windable keels or not. Whether you want to bulk bag them or put them in slotted bags.

h2ofwlr likes this.
  8. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

I run several different sets of decoys all rigged differently. Early season gunning for teal and woodies, I have the decoys Texas rigged with 3' of 200# mono and 2 oz egg weights. For shallow water during regular season, I have a set of decoys Texas rigged with 5' of 400# mono and 3 oz egg weights. For deeper water, duck decoys get 10-12' of tarred line and 4 oz J Hook weights with rubber bungees, goose floats get the same treatment with 8 oz J Hooks & rubber bungees. None of my hunting is in current hence the lighter weights.

9. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

It will depend on the depth of the waters you hunt, wind velocity & amount of submerged vegetation.

Ringbill

10. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

Yup, what Rubberhead and Ringbill said. I hunt small shallow waters (most of the time) and so a small strap weight and pvc line is enough; because of weeds many times no line/weight needed. Because of excessive rain, water levels are very high, I just lengthened all the lines.
    For your initial question about speed/storage, I also agree texas style is best!