Favorite Decoy Anchor System?

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by GooseBusterBoys, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

I've never been able to make Texas-rigging work for me. From coils of line sticking up out of the water to the noise of hanging decoys banging against each other, to the accellerated wear from the loose decoys in the boat being stepped on by hunters and dogs. I like my decoys wrapped up and protected in bags.
    Of course, I've never been one to just toss out the decoys randomly. I like to individually place each one just so...and sitting on the water dry, not wet and shiny. Setting out (and, as far as that goes, picking up) decoys is a labor of love for me, not something I want to "get over with" as quickly as possible. But, that's just the way I am.

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

You are not alone. All my dekes are texas rigged, with J weights and a rubber snubber. I use the TX aspect when I pick up, but then I kneel on the bank and wrap the lines. When I set up, I take them out wrapped, and set them individually.

Tuleman likes this.
  3. Jesg1224

Jesg1224 New Member

Texas Rig... hands down for me. Pay attention to how they are rigged though because I have found that they are not all the same. I've specifically been using the Academy Sports decoy anchor kit. The way it's setup, the loop ends up near your decoy so you don't get your hands very wet picking them up and putting them on a carabiner

4. tornadochaser

tornadochaser Elite Refuge Member

I used to make my own rigs, both texas style and j hook style. Bought 2 dozen Lifetime decoys texas rigs this fall; I won't ever go back to making my own. These rigs are bulletproof. I'll gladly pay $35/dozen to not have to sit and crimp decoy line any more.

5. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Casting my own anchor weights, cutting braided nylon line, putting on adjustable line clips, tying on the anchors, etc. .....it's all a part of the 'off season' part of waterfowling. I can't imagine buying ready-made rigs; I get too much enjoyment from making my own. (I make as much of my own stuff as possible, from decoys, to boats, to decoy carts, to bag stands.)

Spencer5100 and dog duck gun like this.
  6. Spencer5100

Spencer5100 Elite Refuge Member

I've never understood all the rage over Texas rigging. Am I really the only one who will hunt in three inches of water some days and over twenty feet others?

I personally just do ~20' of either Tanglefree or parachute cord and basic strap weights on all my floaters. I tried the keel hook weights for a few seasons, but got really sick of rubber bands breaking and losing weights. There are solutions that are faster than what I use, but they all have other drawbacks and I would rather have the reliability and versatility of my simple system than the speed of Texas rigging any day.

Tuleman likes this.
  7. Jesg1224

Jesg1224 New Member

Different strokes for different folks for sure.... :)
    The texas rigs work really well for me but as you said, it may not be the best solution for everyone. I hunt water that is less than 3' deep 99% of the time so one decoy line length is perfect. I don't need to switch all of the time.

Here's why I love them:
    Pre-rigged - b/c I don't have very much extra time to do a lot of rigging myself even in the off season
    Tx-Style - b/c I put my decoys on a carabiner and hang them up when I get back home. With the TX rig, I have a loop right at the decoy so i don't have to get my hands covered in mud or soaking wet in order to pick up my decoys. I slip the loop of the string on the carabiner. When I lift the strings out of the water all of the decoys slide down to the weights. I make a loose overhand knot in the lines just above the decoys and they go into the sled or ATV. I undo that knot and hang the carabiner with strings for storage. The weights are 4oz egg weights so they don't get tangled up as much. When putting them out, I take the string loop off the carabiner and swing the decoy out to the spot that I want it and it's ready to go. I use decoys that self-right when they hit the water and the decoys naturally slide up the line to the loop end of the string.

This is quick, easy and mostly tangle free for me. I've tried the keel weights and individually wrapped decoy lines and it's just way too much work, hassle and time.

8. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Depends on how you hunt, and your decoys. I hunt rivers. Your eggs would go sliding on down-current, especially when the ice flows. My decoys are flocked, and I don't like to beat them up. So, heavy J-weights, TX rigged, but just for picking up. Then, wrapped and put into individual plastic bags, then into the bulk bag. At home, stacked on the shelves.
    upload_2017-10-25_22-18-43.png
    That's an old pic of my decoy storage. Now they are all flocked, and it's a lot more crowded.

9. Jesg1224

Jesg1224 New Member

Yes, i see. It makes sense with flocked decoys. I wouldn't want them banging around against each other. Have you found the flocked decoys to be effective for you? I've never used any.

10. Native NV Ducker

I keep asking the birds if they make a difference, but they never say. Course, all the ones I talk to are dead, because they were fooled by the flocked decoys.

Seriously, decoys are WAY down the list of importance. Mine are flocked because I spend more time looking at them then I do shooting. They look better to ME.

GUNNERX2, Tuleman and ronaldo like this.