Favorite Decoy Anchor System?

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by GooseBusterBoys, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I hunt in waters from 2 inches 30 feet, same as you. It's why I have over 80 dozen decoys with full floater spreads rigged in different ways, silos, full bodies. I'm a decoy addict though and the total grows each year :z :l

IMO true Texas rigs suck. My favorite way to rig decoys is with 5-6 feet of tangle free line ran through the keel with a cord lock to secure the weight against the keel and I can bulk bag them. With J or strap weights it minimum of doubles the time required. When I am hunting public land It allows me to be far more mobile and willing to move to the area the birds are working. I see ducks working another area that everyone else sees and the time savings allows me to reach the new spot first. Each method has it's place.

Spencer5100 likes this.
  2. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

I got some Texas rig this year and was nice as even though hunt a club, we have some non blind areas we hunt. So not bad, but most of my decoys I leave out all season are J weights so I can attach and easier to store in bulk bags.

3. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

I use to hunt the Great salt Lake mud flats, 2-10 inches of water.
    2 oz weight, 12 inches of line. windy days I stepped the wight into the mud

I also added those same decoys on a long line in deep water, worked good.

4. stevenmoorephoto

stevenmoorephoto New Member

I run Tanglefree and Lifetime Texas rigs and really like them. Usually just wait till their 40% off sale comes up and pick them up. I use slotted bags (I know so why use Texas rigs?) and just plop the rig and decoy in with no issues. Quick in and out.

5. Hardcore Waterfowler

Hardcore Waterfowler Senior Refuge Member

I really prefer the the "H" weights, with about 30 feet of line on them. if Im hunting shallow water I lock the line for a foot or two and set the decoy. If the water is deep the weight unrolls to the appropriate depth. Very versitle type of anchor.

6. Duck-Hunter

Duck-Hunter Senior Refuge Member

I've never been huge on the Texas rig deal. I use them for my pothole decoys which are Tanglefree Pro Series Refuge decoys paired with their ez rigs.

When it comes to running my flight series or migration series decoys that cost a little more and are great looking decoys I put them in 12 slot bags. Hard to spend the good money on them and let em bang around and get beat up. I've always liked J weights with bungees.