Favorite Diver Duck??

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by ShootinCoot, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Layout101

Layout101 Elite Refuge Member

No it's actually a drake lesser bluebill, just a weird head angle.

2. Layout101

Layout101 Elite Refuge Member

You know there is no such thing! :tu

And you of all people know I'm not going to shoot a coot..especially when Cans are around, I believe you've seen me pass on those pesky mallard drakes to bust Cans!

Heck, you probably shot the bluebill....:rolleyes:

3. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

These for shooting.
    [​IMG]

Can for eating even though I haven't shot a Can in several years .

4. Juan De

Juan De Senior Refuge Member

Any diver that will come in.

5. freefall

freefall Elite Refuge Member

I shoot quite a few 'eyes & ringers so when I get the rare can or redhead its a treat.

Still waiting on a surf scooter.... and a white phased Can. All of mine have been grey bodied.

6. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

As I mentioned, I prefer cans and redheads (for shooting and eating), but as far as eating, ringers are right up there.

I realize there are regional differences (in both the diet of the bird and the flavor of the bird on the table), but I have found that if ringers are picked out they taste great. Breasted out, they seem to turn into liver on the table though.

The birds we are killing here always have a nice layer of fat, and I believe that fat helps greatly to temper the flavor while cooking. Whole ringer cooked hot and fast, rare to medium-rare is delicious; breasted out birds seem to taste like liver.

7. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Any over cooked duck takes on a liver flavor. I cut the meat off the breast leaving the skin on them and cook them with as high of heat as possible. Did I mention earlier in the thread that ringers are my favorite diver?

8. Albino Woodie

Albino Woodie Senior Refuge Member

I agree, love it when the redheads pile in along with the blue bills. I enjoy cans but just don't see many of them. I like most divers except ring necks for eating, but I think that the rick necks not making good table fare had something to do with what they were feeding on where i killed them. All my ring necks have been killed inland and I've never killed any around the coast so that may have something to do with it. I've noticed most divers i kill inland smell bad and don't taste as good as divers killed off the coast.

9. jolle

jolle Senior Refuge Member

Eyes for shooting and hunting, although they're the major diver I get and I'm chasing a can for a few years now. That wing whistling never gets old, especially when it stops b/c you know they're locked up and it's about time!

They aren't my favorite to eat, but I've eaten more of them and ringers than anything and don't mind. I've never eaten a can, so hard to speak much for all the other divers.

10. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

Labrador Duck...:(

[​IMG]