Favorite food in the blind ???

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by BADLARRY250, Aug 24, 2017.

1. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Lot's of things I'm partial to, but my favorite is fried deer tenderloin, eggs over easy, sawmill gravy and cat head biscuits. Drinks would depend upon who is in the blind.

See, when one is content to shoot teal and other less desirable species, it's easy to limit a group and get back to camp for an early breakfast. When you know it's going to be one of those wonderful mallard mornings, it's fun to shoot your two scrap ducks early, cook a big breakfast at 8:00 and the mallards are usually arriving about the time you put your plate up.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    auto5 likes this.
  2. GK1

GK1 Elite Refuge Member

Pinch of snuff and a Monster. Then more snuff and another Monster. Once in awhile I get lucky and find a Snickers that somebody left in my boat the year before.

Hogleg, spring man and TheDuckSlayer like this.
  3. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

If we cook we bring a small propane or weber grill and do hot dogs. Easy peasy, little waste and the dogs get a good meal too. If it is going to be a long day, meaning we are willing to wait out a tide change or hope for an afternoon push, soup or burgers may make an appearance. Hot food on a cold day just tastes better.

PAwaterfowler13 likes this.
  4. por boy

por boy Senior Refuge Member

Bacon and eggs ,hash browns.
    By 11:00 it's over and time to go to cabin .

5. molliesmaster

molliesmaster Senior Refuge Member

Whatever fits in my blind bag the night before. The wife made some homemade bread a few weeks ago that was so good I went ahead and placed an order with her for opening day.

6. blacktail

blacktail Elite Refuge Member

I hear that!
    It's a catch 22 for me. I'm envious of those blinds with propane hooked up, smelling of thick cut peppered bacon.
    But, if I have time to cook bacon, I'm doing something wrong.
    I don't even take coffee anymore, spend more time pulling down my waders than holding a gun when I do.

7. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

So much of it has to do with the area and species hunted. I've hunted plenty of places where you better get your licks in the first two hours or you're done. Around here we refer of 9-12 as "mallard time," and cooking a big breakfast in the blind is a great aspect during those hunts. When the mallards are coming from way up in a blue sky, it's the most beautiful sight in waterfowling. Only way it gets better is if there's been snow to light their colors from below.

igo4dux75, WHUP ! Hen and bullpinnie like this.
  8. 3drahthaars

3drahthaars Elite Refuge Member

Sardines and Vienna Sausages with bottle water... on the ride home I get the pup and me a bacon, egg & cheese croissant with a coffee and home fries.

9. widger

widger New Member

Halloween candy and bottled water.

10. blacktail

blacktail Elite Refuge Member

I get that, got the T-shirt as well.
    My hunts are on a strict time table. I have 3 hour windows for every place I hunt.
    I put hunts together around 10' tides.
    So, where ever I set a decoy at noon, I'll either be flooded out or bone dry by 3pm.
    Tidal hunting is a dream and a nightmare at the same time. We don't have a magic time. Birds move all day according to the tide, but constantly moving decoys, worrying if I still have water under the boat etc etc can be a pain. Especially the water under the boat part. Spending a tide cycle waiting for water is not high on my "must do again" list. Ha