Favorite food in the blind ???

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by BADLARRY250, Aug 24, 2017.

1. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Think that one joined for the trans thread.

bullpinnie likes this.
  2. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

:l :l :l

3. CapnJim

CapnJim Refuge Member

I remember years ago stopping at a small walk up to the window plywood shack in I think Huttig, Arkansas after a long morning at Felsenthal.
    Still one of the best cheeseburger baskets I ever had. Is it still there?

4. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Interesting thread. Have always thought of eating in the blind as "a Yankee thing". You can generally tell the locals from the "up North" guests in my Southwest Louisiana commercial blinds by what's first to come out of their blind bags. The local boys break out their bullets while the Yankees are spreading their snacks out on the shell rack.

But we do pride ourselves on after-hunt eats.

5. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

I'll second that. Don't tell them about our excellent fishing though.

6. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

So much of it has to do with conditions in an area. In my area, in order for men of average means to hunt a good spot, they get a group together and lease it. Often this means 8-15k for a single blind location. So, get 8-10 guys together, and you can have a good spot at a reasonable price, but you also have to build a blind capable of holding everyone. We also often have good flights of big ducks late in the morning. Combine plenty of room and too many shooters to make limiting early with late morning flights, and cooking in the blind becomes the norm. Guides do the same deal with a big blind and meals. It takes plenty of clients to pay a lease, and those clients also enjoy having a serious meal in the blind.

Cross the river into AR, and most are hunting levee pits. They're small, so cooking isn't a great option. If ducks are really using a field, you're usually done before any serious hunger sets in. Most places I hunt fitting that description see the hunters eating some kind of light breakfast snack at camp, sticking their choice of beverage in vest/bag and then cooking a big brunch when members get back to camp later in the morning.

I love it all.

coachcornbread likes this.
  7. Hogleg

Hogleg Senior Refuge Member

If we're on a bucket, whatever fits in your bag. If we're in the blind it's deer sausage browned or Jimmy Dean spicy, then scramble eggs in grease, make burritos, cover with cheese and hot sauce. Yes, this can cause some GI distress leading to breaks in the hunt to find a tree.

8. Florida Cracker

Florida Cracker New Member

Fried shrimp sub, fresh from the gulf.
    Cheeseburger with fried egg as top layer
    Smoked fish dip

9. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Just no tradition of eating in the blind down here. Or much of one where I broke out in the North, for that matter. Tradition in that time and place was whittling on a smoked duck with pocket knives. Once thought that pretty tall cotton.

10. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

You must have better hunting than I do... Given the chance, I'll sit in a blind the good part of a day, but I would hate doing so without eating.

My grandfather had me convinced that eating, or preparing to eat was an extremely valuable method in attracting birds to the blind... You might not have seen a bird in the air for 2 hours, but pull out that sandwich (that is difficult to set down without ruining), and suddenly you have birds landing in your face...

I have to say, one of my favorite foods to take to the blind is smoked duck...