Favorite gauge for pheasants

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by SOUTHBAYMAN, Mar 22, 2011.

1. gnpnast

gnpnast Senior Refuge Member

Just bought a 16 ga. double. Anyone use one of these ?

2. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

Sounds like you want a 16. Light as a 20 and can be loaded up to 1 1/4 oz of lead like a 12.

[​IMG]

Dead peasants. Purple shells are awesome. Reload good too.

3. sacbob

sacbob Elite Refuge Member

I shoot a 20 and a 12. See absolutely no need to consider a 16. A light load 12 or a 3" magnum 20 more than cover the 16 spectrum.

4. Duck Monster

Duck Monster Senior Refuge Member

I like the 28 gauge with 7-1/2 1oz load. Was given the gun a few years ago and a buddy of mine told me about the load. It knocks them down. Although the ammo has doubled in price and I am now looking for a double o/u 20 and will shoot 1oz 7's .

5. gunner29

gunner29 Senior Refuge Member

I use a 12 with 6s my best friend a 20 with 6s both work fine . Same knock down force and same pellet count 1oz is 1oz . I think his patterns better to tell ya the truth.

6. weatherby

weatherby Moderator Moderator

12 guage. I don't like chasin them around with a broken wing

7. lanthanide

lanthanide Elite Refuge Member

Born and raised in South Dakota...

Moved to Iowa after college...

I've hunted a few pheasants...I'll leave it at that. All wild...no pen-raised petting zoo hunts.

The 16 ga is the end-all. I use it more than anything else. A properly proportioned 16 is much lighter than a 12 and only slightlly heavier than a 20.

To say that heavy 20 loads or light 12's obsolete the 16 is ignoring a great many things. A light/standard 12...will match the 16...but you're still with the weight of the gun. I own many 16's...including one little small-frame Rizzini than most people mistake for a 20 with they see and handle it.

Heavy 20 loads...the 20's skinny bore and shot string leave it patterning FAR more poorly than any standard 16 load with pheasant sized shot. And I've patterned a lot. I'd take the 12 over the 20 any day...but would never give up my 16.

I'll admit I've shot hundreds of pheasants with a 20...I've gotten it down to a few handloads that are pretty damn effective. But while my 20 will swat roosters from the sky my 16 just CRUSHES them.

8. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I would love a 16 ga.

However, ammo is much more difficult to come by, and would have to be ordered. Premium loads (such as Fiocchi Golden Pheasant) are expensive, and even more difficult to come by, and I do not reload, nor do I have any interest in starting at this point.

And, guns are actually difficult to come by as well. I do not know of an mainstream ultra-light semi-auto made in the 16 ga. Anything purchased new would have to be ordered, sight-unseen (auto or double-barrel). (At least in my area).

I do agree that the 20 ga does not pattern as well as the 12 ga, and given more variety in the guns and ammo, I would almost certainly own a 16 ga. However, probably like most other hunters, I am too lazy to go through the effort of finding a gun and ammo, and too cheap to want to spend the extra money on the ammo as well.

So for the 10 wild roosters I shoot each year (on a good year), I can handle the 12 ga. For chuckars, quail, dove, and snipe, the 20 ga is a great weapon.

Now, if I were shooting 100 wild pheasants per year, it might be a different story.:nutz

9. Brdhntr47

Brdhntr47 Elite Refuge Member

I shoot most upland birds with a A. H. Fox 16. I use RST 2 1/2", 1 oz. loads. #6's for pheasant and praire grouse. #8's for bobwhites and woodcock,
    # 7 1/2's for everything else.

Dennis

10. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

You are looking at it bassackwards. The 16 covers those 2 guns spectrum not two guns covering ones spectrum. That is counterproductive.

A 16 handles larger shot better than a 20, but when built on a scaled frame carries much better than a 12. The adage, "carries like a 20 and shoots like a 12," is true.