Favorite gauge for pheasants

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by SOUTHBAYMAN, Mar 22, 2011.

1. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

My comments were mostly pertaining to lead shot since the thread is about Pheasant hunting and most folks shoot lead for pheasants. The laws that govern how lead patterns still apply, particularly about shot column height.
    You are better off shooting a lighter loaded Sixteen than trying to stuff a long shot column in a 3 inch, 11/4 oz 20. Some of the meanest recoiling shotguns I ever shot were 20 gauges stuffed with 3 inch 11/4 oz magnums.

The reference I made about 3 inch shells often patterning better that 3.5's (with a heavier payload) is accurate for current steel loads. Again it is stacking of pellets to a long shot column height that causes patterning problems.
    Of course folks can and do carefully pattern and reload and can find good patterning exceptions. Sadly most don't and 3.5 inch loads and I suspect a lot of ducks are crippled as a result.

The handling of a well built sixteen on a sixteen frame is timeless.

2. sacbob

sacbob Elite Refuge Member

I don't disagree with any of that. But, most of my pheasant hunting is done on State & Federal wildlife areas. Some of which do not allow lead. And almost all which present situations where you might kill a duck, so you can't even carry lead. My experience with magnum loads suggests that many are ineffective.

3. Brdhntr47

Brdhntr47 Elite Refuge Member

Did you really mean 11/16 oz. of #6's? I've used 15/16 oz. of #6's from Eley. Very good load. Never seen 11/16 loads.

Dennis

4. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

I used to reload 11/16oz loads of lead 6's.

I checked on the Able site and 16 gauge shells are very available from Remington, Federal, Fiocchi, Estate, and Winchester. They are available in lead, steel, HD, and even slugs. Most of the lead loads are 1oz or 11/8oz.

5. WhiteDog

WhiteDog Refuge Member

20 Gauge 3" #4's can't be beat!

6. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Bob,

Sometimes a good blond is nice as well. Remember, blonds have more fun.:D

7. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

Except with 16 ga #4's or 12 ga #4's or even 10ga #4's.

As I am typing this I am wondering why I am even bothering to respond to your post. You didn't even take the time to put enough info in it to make a cognizant post. How much #4's? Moving at what speed? This is asinine.

8. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

RST, RIO, and Kent as well. Plus a few others primarily loading HD lowpressure stuff for older guns.

Anything you can get in a 12 ga load you can get in an appropriate 16 ga load with maybe the exception of regular Hevi-Shot (not classic doubles). But then again if you want it you can reload it very easily as components and recipes are to be found.

Even Brenneke offers a slug in 16.

9. sacbob

sacbob Elite Refuge Member

You may be right. But, I'm in a situation where I dare not try to find out:cool: