Favorite time of the day to hunt Pheasants?????

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by OldHunter, Mar 13, 2001.

1. OldHunter

OldHunter Senior Refuge Member

Here in Nebraska, our state regs allow upland game hunting from 1/2 hr before sunrise to sunset. I used to be one of the guys that had to get out there at O-dark-thirty to roust the birds out of their roost. I must have mellowed a bit after 40 years of p-bird hunting, because I have changed to a more leisurely timetable and now try to get out no earlier than 10 am and actually prefer the hours of 11 am to about 3, and have found I often do better at those times. South Dakota opens at noon the first two weeks and then goes to 10 am which seems to work out great with me. Main advantages I see is birds are not chased off the roost, have time to go out and feed unmolested and I feel fewer hens are mistakenly shot. How does everybody feel about this and what time do you like to hunt?

2. blackdog

blackdog Senior Refuge Member

SD doesn't allow hunting before noon the first 2 wks, and then begins at 10AM the remainder of the season. This provides me to huntducks in the morning and then pheasants in the afternoon, often can even sneak into the pits for late afternoon goosee hunt!

3. HunterNWyo

HunterNWyo Senior Refuge Member

Some areas we hunt require getting out at sunup and beating others into the public sections. But we usually seem to do really well right around 11-12. My favorite time to hunt though is late in the afternoon, about an hour before sunset. We hunt a lot of crp, and I just love the way the sun hits the grass that time of day.

4. Bogey

Bogey Elite Refuge Member

My favorite time to hunt pheasants is at the very end of the day! Seems everyone has busted brush all day and by the end of the day, it's just me and my dog! We're both tired, but she's still working, still excited and we always seem to come up with one bird right before the sun goes down. It's my favorite time. My dog seems to know that it was our last one of the day, and for the first time that day, we just sit back and relax, knowing it's over until tomorrow...

5. Colby

Colby Senior Refuge Member

Old Hunter,
    I know I'm still a young punk, but I love those early morning flushes. Theres nothing like that sound to wake you up.

I hunt NE alot for pheasants, where in the state do you hunt?

Colby

6. Greybeard

Greybeard Elite Refuge Member

OldHunter: Nice to see someone who's been at it nearly as long as I have.
    I've tried it at about every time that was legal and found I really like the "leisurely" mid-morning hunt also. Most of it is dictated by what the sunrise brings though. On a cold, windy day with snow I'll wait 'til about 1:00 in the afternoon, then go hunt the medium brush edges. If it's sunny and between 30 and 40 degrees, I'll hunt the grass edges of cornfields and waterways. When I can find a "laid-by" Hay field, I walk it looking for "warm-overs". If I find enough sign I hunt that about 3:00.

7. oldsquaw

oldsquaw Elite Refuge Member

i usuaslly like to get out right when the sun comes up. especially if there is fresh snow. in that case im up well before light, and i get to my favorite spot at dawn. Tracking pheasants is a fun way to hunt them, and very easy too.

8. HTDUCK

HTDUCK Elite Refuge Member

Well seeing as how I got to make my first trip to Kansas this year and had to drive 500
    miles to get there.....
    On both trips we seemed to kill more birds
    between 11am and 3 pm.
    Man what fun.
    See Ya,
    HTDuck

9. OldHunter

OldHunter Senior Refuge Member

Colby, I live in Lincoln and hunt a lot within 20 miles or so, but only because it is close. I do the best in NE and SW part of the state and also hunt in So Dak first week of the season.

Something magical about the first snow, especially if it isn't too windy. Birds hold really tight and usually have to boot em out.

10. GulfCoast

GulfCoast Moderate Moderator Moderator

I like to sleep in, and get out about 10:00 or 10:30. Usually done by 2:30 or so, time for a nap, clean gun, eat dinner, sleep, sleep in, get out about 10:00 or 10:30......its a vicious cycle, but someone's gotta do it.