Favorite turkey calls?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by Squaller, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Admittedly, my most used call to finish birds, and my favorite calls to play are not the same...

My least favorite to use, but probably most used are diaphragm calls. If I could only use one call in the field it would be a diaphragm. Currently I like Hook's calls and Gooserbat custom calls, which are actually less expensive than many manufactured calls (including Zink or Woodhaven), next would be Woodhaven. No doubt that diaphragm calls are the most difficult to use, but can be some of the most realistic calls, and the easiest to put "emotion" or inflection into... I ain't that good, but better than most I have seen on YouTube (which ain't sayin' much).

Another benefit to mouth calls is that you can carry a couple of dozen of them and take up no room in the vest... Try doing that with a box call or pot call...

I love playing with a box call in the woods, and it is great for reaching out there, and for realism... I currently have an SS Call I really like, and Spring Creek makes a very reasonably priced custom call as well (no frills). Primos (I have a Heartbreaker) and Lynch World champion are two very good cookie-cutter calls...

Lately I have really enjoyed playing scratch boxes (my favorite to play)... Great at the low end with very realistic clucks and purrs... Not as much volume as a box call, so it is not a "searching call." Definitely a two-handed call (comparable to a pot call)... It has a similar realistic resonance as does a box call, less loud than a box call, but a bit better for the finesse. Far more difficult to play than a box call, and probably about the same level of difficulty (or more) as a pot call.

I have never really gotten into pot calls... I have heard hunters in the woods on them, and can immediately tell (as I can with many people barking like a seal on a diaphragm). Box calls have fooled me a couple times though.

What do you guys like, and what do you not care for?

2. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Use diaphragm mostly. Less movement. All of mine are Woodhaven. Yellow ghosts are easy to run. Next in my arsenal is a slate call. Box is a last resort, but effective.

3. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

Have a local product, a Tom Gaskins box call, for close in calling. Have a custom glass over slate pot call and an older Ben Lee twin hen box call that I favor, but down here humidity/moisture are troublesome with the boxes, so both the Pittman and Woodhaven mouth calls are great. All I know is these Osceola turkeys, and they are usually reticent so it is easy to over call them and strike out. Seems like a simple yelp cadence or cut has worked better vs. extensive calling.

4. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

Quaker boy old boss hen has been all I like for 25? Years.

Use an old box call I bought at Walmart 25+ years ago. Only putt on it.

Less calling is always better.

I’ve heard hens that I thought were hunters. Sometimes they sound “bad” too.

5. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

:clap Fact.

A buddy and I were hunting his boss’ place one day, and heard what we thought was a poacher (his neighbor has been caught there before). Sounded awful. We snuck in, trying to bust him. Turns out it was a hen. She sounded terrible, and made me feel better about my calling abilities.

6. killerv

killerv Elite Refuge Member

If I had to have just one...an old Lynch Jet Slate

7. Glades Ranger

H2ODAD, I started back in 1983. I never had much luck "running n gunning", I eventually learned to stay put and did better. Just like in duck hunting down here, too much overcalling. Out of state "slammers" have also impacted our environs, and the night is less dark with advancing "progress". I remembered you posted to walk real slow- I will try that. Good luck to you this opener!

8. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

Already missed my opener. Hope to get out this weekend but haven’t had a chance to scout.

The turkey slam is the dumbest thing ever. And why anybody would drive to Florida and pay what people pay to hunt the smallest and least fun of the turkeys to hunt is beyond me. I hate Osceolas but I’m not driving four or more hours north to find real turkeys to hunt.

I honestly hunt osceolas to just kill them. I’ve only ever enjoyed one hunt for them and that bird hung up at 60 yards because of some tall (12”) grass.

9. killerv

killerv Elite Refuge Member

Funny about osceolas, a guy I know took his son to kill one, pulled up to some guys house and the guy pointed to a field behind the house. A bird died within 30 minutes and they were headed back home to Ga. Quick hunt.

10. Glades Ranger

H2ODAD, that four hour drive for you is eight or more for me....maybe someday. A friend who hunts osceolas down here and easterns up in NJ, PA, and MD, rates the eastern birds as "dumber" and definitely more vocal, so easier to locate. Big birds too, they eat plenty of grain up there. I just like being in the woods this time of year, away from the city. Hear and see coyotes now more than before, in wet years you see woodduck too, and there seem to be more sandhill crane about making noise. Best cup of coffee out there for sure.