Favorite turkey calls?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by Squaller, Mar 5, 2018.

1. mudhen

mudhen Elite Refuge Member

Heck if I know?

Every hunt is different...

I love a good box call for long distance work...Albert Paul is my go to maker...

Mouth calls are good too, I’ll go through 10-12 per season...

Pots are my staple though...slate over glass...beyond a doubt...I dabble in ceramic, Ti, but slate over glass is first up...Light’s Out, Kaiser Kalls, and just ordered a John Sinclair...

I agree 110% with the comments that say live hens are the worst callers...god awful...someone should teach them to call...

2. skimerhorn

skimerhorn Refuge Member

I'e got a Paul platz slate that's good, but my meat call is a Cody slate. They can' stand it!

mudhen likes this.
  3. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

Do you live in key west? I’m in Davie. There are no Osceolas north of Orlando no matter what they tell the Yankees.

Put a big bird 20 feet from my rookie hunting partner this am....and the bird caught him moving. Facepalm.

Typical crappy Osceola hunt. Birds would gobble but not to the call. Had two work in and couldn’t keep the rookie pointed in the right direction.

4. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Keep 6-8 diaphragms in the wallet and one ALWAYS in my mouth. Keep an old Cody glass, and a rosewood striker, in my hand ALWAYS. Which I use depends on my thinking at the moment I call. I have a tube call and a cedar striker in my vest. That's it for calls.

5. H20DAD

Another typical Osceola hunt. Bird wouldn’t gobble to the call and wouldn’t come in. Used a couple of tricks on him and did the old walk in and shoot him where he stands. Bingo turkey dinner this week. 08609D65-4C0E-42E5-A6C3-E89E8D228309.jpeg

6. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Congrats. Can’t wait til Thursday!

7. thatguy2

thatguy2 Elite Refuge Member

Sheaux Stopper V-cut is my go to the last 3 years.

8. H20DAD

Well?

9. Rolen_Zen

Rolen_Zen Senior Refuge Member

I've tried a lot of diaphragm calls but always come back to the Raspy Old hen. My friend makes both slate and box calls as a hobby, so I use those as they both sound really good.
    I typically use the friction calls when sitting, and the diaphragm when running and gunning.

10. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

H20DAD, I am in Miasma, can't wait to get away this weekend! Big Cypress is tough, going to central zone.