Favorite Upland Bird Gun...

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by jbrown, Dec 9, 2005.

1. jbrown

jbrown Elite Refuge Member

Fellows, what is your favorite upland bird gun?? My all time favorite is a 20ga Browning A-5 with a 26" barrel and IC choke. Jim

2. Delta G

Delta G Elite Refuge Member

I bought a gun last summer and was hoping to make it my favorite, but because of work, etc. I haven't tried it yet. It is a CZ 20ga sxs Ringneck model with 28" barrels. Prior to this gun, I had a 28ga sxs with 26" barrels--it was fun to shoot, but the barrel length was just too short for me--my other gun, a Winchester 101 has 30" barrels and the 28" are a good compromise. Hopefully I can get out at least once before the season is over.

3. skeetshooter105

skeetshooter105 Refuge Member

Early season I use a Model 42 Winchester .410. Shoot 2 1/2" reloads with # 8 1/2 shot. Later in year usually go to my Rem. 1100 .20 ga. skeet that I have shot for over 40 years. In Kentucky you can make a box of shells last all year with no more quail than we have. In the 50's and 60's used to average 12 or more coveys a day. Now that makes a good year.

4. setter

setter Elite Refuge Member

i know how ya feel .growing up we had quail all over south jersey.16 covies a day was about average. some years we would shoot 200 or more birds with old hammer guns ,you know single shot break opens and beagles,then we got an irish setter puppy, molly was total knot head for 2 seasons then the Good Lord turned on the light for her and she became a bird machine .we all turned 14 or so and worked all summer to buy better guns . quail were still plentiful and the shell companies were a good business investment -lol. the years flew buy and so did the quail -lol

5. zaconb

zaconb Senior Refuge Member

Woodcock/Grouse- Charles Daly sxs 28ga
    Early pheasant Browning BSS 20ga sxs
    Late pheasant Browning BSS 12 ga sxs

6. kodyb

kodyb Senior Refuge Member

Beretta silver pigeon II 20/28 guage combo.

7. Larsen's Labs

Larsen's Labs Elite Refuge Member

It used to be a Wingmaster - I purchased a Benelli SBE this fall, and it is amazing!!:clap :clap

8. Running dog

Running dog Senior Refuge Member

Browning Citori 20ga. 26in. barrels with invector plus imp. and mod. chokes also can handle 3in shells!

9. Chesador

Chesador Senior Refuge Member

Merkel 47E or any good handling SxS. That said, long ago I bagged 2 ruffed grouse in 30 seconds with the only shotgun I owned, a Rem 1100 with a 21" slug barrel with the sights removed. I guess the best gun is the one you shoot the best when the birds are flying...

10. Greybeard

Greybeard Elite Refuge Member

.....sure have some DEEP pockets!:eek:You're talking about some really fine guns there.
    For the last 40+ years I've done most of my bird hunting with a little Savage 20 Ga. S x S. My Wife bought that gun for me new for $68.00 and I've killed wagon loads of Dove, Quail and Pheasants with it. Also a lot of Ducks and a few Geese back when lead was still legal.
    We used to be able to find 8 or 10 Coveys of Quail a day here in Cenrtral Illinois but after they changed their farming methods and took out all the hedge and fence rows the Quail just couldn't survive the lack of cover.