Federal Cartridge improves Speed Shok in 16ga. 20, and 12!

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by NW BIRDHUNTER, Feb 28, 2018.

1. NW BIRDHUNTER

NW BIRDHUNTER Refuge Member

Federal Cartridge now offers 16 gauge steel loads in BB shot. Also improved 20 gauge loads with 1550 FPS high speed steel, and faster heavy 12 gauge loads, all with cleaner burning powder. Nice to see somebody doing something with the "Sweet Sixteen"!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  2. NW BIRDHUNTER

Also new loadings in the 28 ga. and 410.

3. Mallardmisser

Mallardmisser Elite Refuge Member

I wonder if they actually improved them, or are just putting on a new wrapper and fresh ad campaign....

Seaark18 and 10GAGENUT like this.
  4. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

If they are keeping the 16 gauge loads at 15/16 oz that's around 66 BB's, not exactly a goose or duck load by any means.

5. NW BIRDHUNTER

I'll take that challenge. I'm sure I could fill a limit of mallards with 'em.

6. NW BIRDHUNTER

New powder, more load offerings, sounds like an improvement to me.

7. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

Give em a try, be to thin for my liking even if your getting 80% patterns at 40 yards you only end up with around 52 pellets in an effective pattern, I've used 1's with good results but you start out with 95 pellets in the load.

8. NW BIRDHUNTER

You're probably right, might try a few. Sure am glad to see "Something new" for 16 ga. loads, now if somebody would offer some high speed steel, and some 1's, 3's, 5's, and 6's. It would really open the door for the 16 to be used by everybody, everywhere! Without having to pay $$$ for other types of non-toxic loads.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  9. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

It's not just a lack of a variety load offerings in the 16 gage that prevents more people from shooting the 16 for waterfowl. It's the lacking of versatility and payloads that the 12 gage enjoys, and the lighter, faster handling (and payloads in 3 inch) that the 20 enjoys. The 16 is just too-darn-close-but-not-quite-there for too many shooters, even though some feel that's it's close enough to each to be a good compromise. Problem is, many waterfowlers don't want to compromise; if they want a big gun, they'll go 12 or 10...and if they want a pea-shooter, they'll go 20 or 28. The 16 is neither fish nor fowl for them. That's why it has lost popularity over the last five decades, and I don't know what the ammo manufacturers could do to make the 12 gage shooters OR the 20 gage shooters give up their favorite gages at this point.

dla likes this.
  10. NW BIRDHUNTER

Right, people will never give up their 12's, no doubt about it. However people like me will be able to use the "Sweet 16" for more use with more loads available. 16's aren't as dead as "you think" I watch carefully the sales of 16's on some of our gun sales sites, and surprisingly some command top dollar, and most all desirable models sell quickly. Last week a "used Remington Model 1100 16 ga." sold for $1575.00! I look forward to using my "Sweet 16" this fall for some upland birds and some serious waterfowl hunting with steel shot.