Federal Cartridge improves Speed Shok in 16ga. 20, and 12!

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by NW BIRDHUNTER, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Then explain why there are fifty 12 gage and 20 gage shotgun on the gun sale sites for every one 16 gage. Heck, there are more 28 gage or .410's on those sites than 16's. Sounds like the definition of a gage that is on life support to me.....it ain't dead yet, but no one is saying that it's healthy.

2. NW BIRDHUNTER

NW BIRDHUNTER Senior Refuge Member

We aren't comparing the 16 to the 12, or 20. Totally different breeds of cat. People shoot 16's because they want to, not because it's the "best waterfowl gun". Now if you want to get down to brass tacks, and talk about worthless waterfowl guns, the 28 and 410 fit the bill. Anyways the "sweet 16" is alive and ain't going nowhere, especially with new loads and several different guns being offered by two big companies, in Federal and Browning.

3. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

I know a couple people who would disagree in 410s and 28 gauges being useless on waterfowl, one person I know killed 30 ducks and 30 geese this year with her 410.

4. tornadochaser

tornadochaser Elite Refuge Member

They are already on the shelves at Scheels. I'm hoping to run a box through my SX2 this weekend, see how much less junk flies in my eyes.

5. jolle

jolle Elite Refuge Member

Yes I'm also interested in actual results from these as I've used blue box for a long time but noticed the grime when I switched to an auto a few years back.

6. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

While the .410 and 28 are not considered “waterfowl guns”, it’s very apparent they are up to the task when loaded with the right stuff and in the hands of skilled and knowledgable shooters. I’d be happy to hunt with my 28 in a situation where all other guns were 12’s. They probably wouldn’t ever know ...

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    markd likes this.
  7. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

A 28 1100 would be my dream duck gun.

ED Vanderbeck likes this.
  8. Seahawk18

Seahawk18 Senior Refuge Member

I tried my 28 ga auto this season on ducks. The 28 ga hevisteel in 4s was not effective at all. Felt like velocity was down from the advertised 1350 fps. The Federal field and range in 6s seemed somewhat more effective. Might try Bismuth next year if I can find them. Doubt if any retailers carry them in this state tho.

9. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Federal definitely needed to improve their 16 gauge steel loads as the Remington Nitro Steel version (per my findings) placed 30%+ more pellets (same payload & MV) on the pattern paper.

10. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Today’s Hevi Steel is no more heavier than regular steel shot. Number 6’s will not do anything beyond 30 yards. You must use something close to the weight of lead. Reloads of heavy weight 13 in 6’s performs awesome.

Tuleman likes this.