Federal Heavyweight TSS

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by jbrown, Mar 3, 2018.

1. jbrown

jbrown Elite Refuge Member

I had a friend pick up two boxes for me today, 3", 20ga, 1 1\2oz, #9 shot. On the front of the box is says, "Reduced Recoil", speed listed as 1000fps. I didn't know they made a reduced recoil load. What would the fps be in the standard shell? Trying to decide if I should keep them or return them, I don't need a reduced load.

2. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

I’m not sure you understand a lot about the heavy weight types of shot based on all your other shot inquires. TSS is 18 gm/cc and doesn’t need a lot of speed relative to other types of shot. It should do the job just fine. An ounce and a half is a lot of shot to shoot and call reduced recoil. They can do that because the ballistics are still there even though it’s only running 1000 FPS. It’s the heaviest of all shots produced.

3. jbrown

jbrown Elite Refuge Member

That's kind of what I was thinking about the 1 1\2oz load. I thought the load would have been reduced in a reduced recoil shell. Thanks

4. Drakehammer

Drakehammer Senior Refuge Member

JFG great point. Do you know of any threads or charts with ballistics for different density shot?

5. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

1 1/2 oz of any type shot is an extremely heavy load for a 20 gauge, the factories have access to a lot of powders we don't but they don't have any magical ones yet. The 1000 fps is probably the best they could do with that heavy a shot charge, so they Label it Reduced Recoil and the people buying it think they are getting something special...good marketing.

Tuleman likes this.
  6. Soggy Socks

Soggy Socks Refuge Member

Where are u guys getting it?

7. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Oh I agree whole heardly it’s hard to imagine 1 1/2 oz shot being low recoil but running as slow as they claim, yet still pushing a leathal magnum load probably does make it “low recoil” compared to any other manufacturer’s offering. At least in Federal’s eyes. Great marketing as you said ...