Federal Red Box or Kent Silver Steel

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Decoyin Drake, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Decoyin Drake

Decoyin Drake Senior Refuge Member

I have always shot Federal red box steel but the Kent Silver Steel seems on paper to be similar with a little higher " published" velocity. 3" 1 1/4 oz federal 1450 and Kent 1480. Cost isn't a consideration as $20 a case is not significant to me. Which would you choose and why purchasing 3" #1 and BB. I shoot mainly beretta Extrema 2 guns but shoot a Benelli a Gold and a maxus from time to time also.

2. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Surely any one of those will do the job "IF" your gun / choke combo likes them ? With every gun being different and the color of a shell
    that's more to your liking being paramont to most folks , give them a try on the patterning board and report back , your results ? I assume
    you would really like to know before you pay $20. more a flat but with all those guns to test , it might be well worth the time !
    Now comes the question of , are you such a experienced marksman / Waterfowler , that would know the difference when you see it ?
    You could be one of the few that took the time and paid their dues , to find out ! :yes

Good Luck ! :tu

OneShotBandit and Sunklands like this.
  3. sleeping_dogs

sleeping_dogs Senior Refuge Member

Federal Red Box, not a fan of Kent it doesn't pattern well out of my Beretta Silver Mallard or Remington 870.

4. Decoyin Drake

Decoyin Drake Senior Refuge Member

I shoot everything on paper. I would never make a case purchase and just go afield. I Keep digital Picts of all gun load and choke combos and shoot at 25, 30,35.and 40 yds. I usually use 5 shot strings unless really poor. Uniformity is my focus. I use tru lock IC -IM but find LM and M my chokes of choice most of the time. Shoot IM at snows and sea ducks sometimes. IC and LM in layout boat timber holes and with early teal but that's different shot sizes ( smaller)
    Was looking for input before the leg work starts . I Never liked regular fast steel but their claim is that it's better??

5. Joe Hunter

Joe Hunter Senior Refuge Member

DD -- Obviously, you'll need to try them through your barrel/choke but here are a few of my pattern numbers to give you an idea of how they performed in my gun/choke!

Patterning results from a 12-gauge 3" Remington 870 Special Purpose with a 28" barrel and factory flush Rem-chokes (pattern average of five, 30" post-shot scribed circle, yardage taped muzzle to target, in-shell pellet count average of five, and true choke constriction from bore gauge).

40 YARDS – Modified flush factory Rem-choke (.018” constriction)
    Federal Speed-Shok 3" 1 1/4 oz #2 steel (154 pellets) pattern 115 (75%)
    Federal Premium Ultra-Shok 3" 1 1/4 oz #2 steel (147 pellets) pattern 109 (74%)
    Kent Fasteel 3" 1 1/4 oz #2 steel (155 pellets) pattern 103 (66%)
    Kent Silver Steel 3" 1 1/4 oz #2 steel (153 pellets) pattern 112 (73%)

Now you can be the judge, but out to the tested 40 yards, I doubt a mallard could tell the difference!

Good luck!

6. feetdownshooter

feetdownshooter Senior Refuge Member

Bottom line you have to test fire the rounds through your gun and choke combo to find out what's going to be the best fit. I myself have had excellent luck with Kent's and a Carlson choke tube that's an extended version and have had great success others not as much so go with what you Will.

7. Dave in AZ

Dave in AZ Senior Refuge Member

All the Fed blue box just got reformulated and improved last week!
    All new clean powder they say, AND all the 12ga loadings were increased in speed and payload to AT LEAST match the Red Box. Go to the fed site and look at the offerings... I wrote a long load by load comparison of 40 Federal loads a few days ago. Basically the only thing different Red to Blue box now is nickle plated shot.

Take a look at the new blue box numbers.

8. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

Not to be a Debbie Downer here Dave as we all appreciate the write up's you do, but is Federal saying the actually changed things or did you do comparative chrongraphing of the two loads, Just because they advertise something these days doesn't mean it's actually true !!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    Tuleman likes this.
  9. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

I love to read the NEW marketing these manufactures come up with , as if any of it makes a REAL difference in their loads ?
    We are a demanding group of hunters with all the changes we would like to see in a shell , so , in a lot of cases that's what they
    print on the box ! Oh yeah , all it takes is for the word to get out to a few ( in hopes ) that the " kool aid of change " is sucked in .
    We all know Daves no fool and with his prowlness for a loads ability surely he'll get to the bottom of these claims , but in the
    meantime , let's just sit back and enjoy the Comical creative BS most of these marketing people try to spill .
    And I'll be damned "IF" some of it doesn't come true !

10. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

I hear you, I just keep thinking back and wondering if Federal did ever make a clean firing shell, you remember the old lead Duck and Pheasant loads they made. They would kill real well but they were real dirty shooting back then too.

Ringbill likes this.