Feeding before and during hunting

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Action, Oct 17, 2017.

1. teul2

teul2 Senior Refuge Member

I understand your concern. But, I would advise against feeding at all in the morning before a hunt. As stated above, the digestion takes away from usable working energy and I think the risk of a twisted stomach is just to great. IMHO, best practice is to feed the night before, and pay attention to your dog. If she needs a rest, or to warm up, do so. And there is no rule that says the dog has to pickup all the birds. In fact making them sit and watching you pick some up is good for them (though we all know it pisses them off).

2. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

Action said:

My lab is 4 years old, 55lbs and lean. When shooting 28 ducks over water that's a lot of work. Many times the shoot last 2 hours and she is constantly in the water. Throw in single diget temps it can be a lot for a dog. She has the drive that won't quit and I'm just looking for the best care for her when she's doing her job in demanding conditions.

The conditions you are describing suggest more than just feeding concerns. I am not judging.......just offering input.

http://www.retrievertraining.net/fo...s-from-retrieving-to-quot-should-be-dead-quot

3. choc24/7

choc24/7 Elite Refuge Member

i feed the night before. i play about a 12hr energy process for a dog.

4. Action

Action Elite Refuge Member

KwickLabs,

Great link and I hope a lot of people benefit from it now that the new season is amongst us. Hunts can be fast and furious and sometimes we don't pay enough attention to the condition of our retrievers. I never have my dog sitting in water during a hunt like I have heard from a few in the past. Their vitals are not insulated and can get hypothermia before you know it. I believe I will start carrying towels with me to get as much water off her during the hunt. Of course this will be in addition to her vest. Also a good point for dog owners to think about............Make sure your dog has an insulated cover on their kennel to keep them out of the elements as best as possiable when going to and from the hunt.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  5. West Sider

West Sider Senior Refuge Member

I’ve read some on this. Correct me if I’m wrong here. I personally add water to my dogs dry kibble.

Read that there is almost no water in dry kibble and it takes a lot of drinking water to break up the kibble in the stomach.

Adding water puts water into the kibble making it easier to digest.

Like I said. Correct me if I’m wrong.

6. teul2

teul2 Senior Refuge Member

You can add water, or the dog is going to drink water after eating the dry food and do the same thing. But, by adding water you are removing one of the benefits of dry food. That's the fact that dry food helps clean their teeth while eating it. By making mush, you may actually compound the issue of tartar buildup on the teeth and require the vet to do a sedated cleaning.