Feeding Ducks after season

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by 8UP4 FOWL, Jan 11, 2018.

1. 8UP4 FOWL

8UP4 FOWL Senior Refuge Member

Curious if it is legal to put out shelled corn for the ducks after season is over. I recently built a small wetland for duck hunting and would like to get the ducks using it/imprinting on it and thought some free food might be enticing for them. Thanks in advance for your comments.

2. KAHunter

KAHunter Senior Refuge Member

Yes it is legal. We feed till middle/ end of march. Not sure if it helps but it cant hurt!!

3. boatdriver

boatdriver Senior Refuge Member

Man, I've always wondered about this as well. I think I may go dump a couple hundred pounds of corn in the marsh to see what happens.

4. redjones

redjones Senior Refuge Member

Might want to check,several years ago we were hunting a local lake that had a state owned launch on it that was very close to a private residence,well the guy that lived there comes out and gives us some guff about hunting there and we ignore him and launch.
    So he calls the game warden,when we show up at the ramp the GW is waiting on us so we figure here we go he's going to try and ticket us for something or at least harass us somehow etc.
    The GW was a pretty decent guy ask us how we did,he was giving our rig a look over when the neighbor shows up and starts ranting and raving about how the geese this and we shouldn't be hunting this lake that.
    And the GW is listening to the guy and trying to explain that we have every right to hunt here and then it happens,the guy says I feed these ducks and geese every day off my dock they are like my pets.
    The GW hole attitude changes from trying to explain why we can hunt there to let me tell you whats going to happen next,I'm going to issue you a ticket for impeding the migration of a migratory bird and also issue you a ticket for hunter harassment if you continue to bother these guys.
    It goes on from there but the GW never checked us,even gave us his card and told us if this guy ever bothered us again to let him know.
    But to make a long story even longer you might want to check with your local Game Warden.

Greg

Fowler267 likes this.
  5. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

The guys complaining about DU and lack of birds may want to have a chat with you.
    PS. Wear a he!met.

6. KAHunter

KAHunter Senior Refuge Member

I do agree to a degree with baiting and not hunting during the duck season. It can hold alot of birds and allow for a very few people if any to get to them. After the season, in NE NC, alot of people stop feeding and drain their impoundments. We feed heavy through march and we have a huge influx in birds using our impoundment. I like to say I do my best to send them back happy and healthy. While they are keying in on the corn, alot of the females tend to hit the invertebrates hard as well.