Felon Hunters gun rights

Discussion in 'Hunters Rights Forum' started by Ray, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Ray

Ray Senior Refuge Member

Interesting read about how Alaska laws conflict with Federal law felons and guns.

Anchorage Press - Hidden Punishment

2. duckdog21

duckdog21 Senior Refuge Member

Poor convicted felons, I feel so bad for them!

3. jamesmc

jamesmc Elite Refuge Member

Not all convicted felons are bad people. They just made bad choices. My best friend is a convicted felon. He got mixed in with the wrong crowd, got into drugs and that turned him to burglary to support his habit. He went to prison for 7 years. He is now a born again christian, He has 3 christian mens groups that he counsels that are all recently release prisoners. He is one of the finest human beings that I have every met. He would give you the shirt off his back. He is no longer allowed to own a firearm. I think he should have his rights restored. Sorry for the rant,

James

4. olepal

olepal Elite Refuge Member

Zero forgiveness makes little more sense than zero tolerance. We want people to get their act together, pay their debt to society, and get on with their lives but we want to tell them where they can live, what kinds of jobs they can have, and what they can and can't own. No wonder so many turn back to crime. I know that many who turn back would have regardless but society makes it hard for people to get back to a normal life.
    I work for a staffing company and our corporate police is not to hire contractors who have either a felony or a misdemeanor involving theft, drugs, or violence in the last 7 years. What the heck is a person supposed to do to make a living with rules like that.:confused:

olepal

5. wingmaster36

wingmaster36 Senior Refuge Member

IMHO if the crime did not involve violence or the use of a firearm then I have no problem with a person having all their rights restored. Armed robbery, murder and such are not the same as non-violent crimes to me.

6. wigeonmeister

wigeonmeister Elite Refuge Member

Feel free to fire away if you want to, but I am on the opposite side of this fence from the rest of you.

I believe that convicted felons should NOT get their rights to gun ownership restored. WAY too many of them have proven themselves to be too dangerous the first time around, and it opens too much of a loophole which in essence arms a felon to do it again.

And don't worry. I am not naive enough to believe that very many people are going to agree with me on this one, and my feelings will not be hurt by it.

7. olepal

olepal Elite Refuge Member

I understand wigeonmeister's point of view also but as I said in my previous response, zero forgiveness makes little more sense than the rash of zero tolerance situations around the country. There should be a process that includes time and other things that would allow a person to regain what has been lost. I'm not talking about giving someone who is a felon, convicted of a violent crime, and out for the last 6 months the right to own a firearm. But a person who was convicted of a non-violent crime, served his time, and is on track to a better life, should have some hope of enjoying the things we do, at some point in time. IMHO

olepal

8. The Other David

The Other David Elite Refuge Member

I think there should be a process for a felon to petition for restoration of rights, including 2nd Amendment. The criteria for approval should be tight but not impossible. Perhaps start with 5 years post release, gainfully employed, no arrests since, etc.

I agree that those with a felony for violence or gun-related crime should not be approved.

9. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

I'd like to clarify that, IMO, a felony for "violent", or "violent gun-involved" crimes, should not have their rights restored. However, by just saying a "gun-related felony" you are including people who might make a "gun-related" administrative error that has nothing to do with violence. It's not right to make them non-citizens, especially since so many Dems today are attempting to make "small white collar crimes" (some day even parking tickets???) into felonies.

10. The Other David

The Other David Elite Refuge Member

I concur with you.