Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Field blind positioning

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by oldfireguy, Aug 8, 2018.

1. oldfireguy

oldfireguy Senior Refuge Member

Opinions/advice welcome.
    Traditional placement of layout blinds at Apex of spread.
    Qs
    1. Compare this to blind placement along one edge of spread?
    2. If using spinners, where is optimal placement?
    3. Has anyone had success with blind placement near outer end of spread?
    4. Ducks in relationship to goose decoy? Separate or mix?

2. GK1

GK1 Elite Refuge Member

Hope for sun and some wind....the rest is a far second.

3. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

Be on the X...
    or, try one of the options above. If they don't work, move blinds to another location.

sometimes you just need to figure out things for yourself. ( sometimes things change daily.)

4. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Size of your spread,wind, crop/field, weather, sun,wind speed, x vs traffic, pressure, no birds/old bird, shooting skills of hunters, and wind all factor into where to put the blinds.

Most ideal for me, on the x, wind at my side, sun at my back, I shoot them crossing.

The days you stack them it is often a head on shoot, just enough wind to set them up, but not enough to bail them out when they turn tail.

5. marsh man dan

marsh man dan Elite Refuge Member

If you do a bad job cover your blinds or doesn't matter going to sick no matter what. If your hide is good your on the x it should be a good hunt. We put the mojos bout10 yards off the blinds on the corners. Goose decoys work great for ducks we don't really run duck decoys.

6. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Build a PVC frame pop up roof. No matter how good your sides of the blind are the birds are ALWAYS looking down and can see into your blind . And even if your face is looking down, face covered, not moving, they are still looking into a big hold full of odd shapes that doesn't blend into the shapes of the natural brush etc around you. We started to use a pop up roof a few seasons ago. Much more birds committing than ever before. Aint no going back to the open hole blinds.

7. Drakes Landing

Drakes Landing Senior Refuge Member Supporting Member

Agree with GK1 especially for ducks!!!!! SUN for field ducks or stay home in bed!

8. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

That is really dependent on location, rainy days are when they hit the fields here.

TF- Read the guy's post for crying out loud. He is specifically asking about layout blinds.

ringneck5499 likes this.
  9. Drakes Landing

Drakes Landing Senior Refuge Member Supporting Member

For layout location and placement depends on wind direction, wind speed, sun and the type of birds you are chasing (snows, ducks, honkers). For all scenarios I personally ALWAYS put layout blinds literally side by side (touching frames) and then use the cover (primarily corn in our part of the world) to create what looks like one small undulation or hump in the field vs. having the blinds individually placed apart from one another. It eliminates shadows between blinds when you do this and while not a new theory is an absolute when I hunt fields with layout blinds.

For ducks and honkers use lots of honker decoys and a few high quality FB ducks in the hole with spinners around the blinds (so you can reach the spinners and turn them off in the vent honkers approach).

For Snows similar but with no spinners. The hole and setup is quite a lot different with no gap. Layout blinds on upwind side of tear drop with decoys running down wind to point.............make the birds work over the point and into the hole you have created. I have heard of some guys having really good success getting downwind in the spread with layout blinds on hard wind days to catch them before they make the spread or see something they don't like. They generally are crawling up a hill at a low elevation is my guess (based on my experience) and it seems it would work well provided you get those blinds really, really hid!

Good luck.

10. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Ok, Monty..... I got it.
    So sorry to offend. Please don't use pop up roofs on your non layout blinds. It could be too dangerous.

https://gph.is/YBC1Ve