Field blind positioning

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by oldfireguy, Aug 8, 2018.

1. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

There is no right answer. Depends on conditions, then how birds work. Most days we make one or two adjustments but for most part unless weather is ugly, I don't use layout blinds much as most of fields I hunt don't have much cover left and they stick out like sore thumbs.

2. oldfireguy

oldfireguy Senior Refuge Member

Thanks to all. This will be my 53rd year hunting ducks, but I've only tried field spreads a dozen or so times. The results varied from limits to zip.
    I was not aware of the sunny day influence. Just last year heard several people say "turn off spinners when geese are flying".
    Always something new to learn. Anxious to get back to camp in the Coteau and try again.
    Once more, thanks.

3. n c rod

n c rod Refuge Member

This will be my 51st season and I appreciate the convenience of Field hunting. More scouting is necessary and locating precise area where the birds last fed is crucial to success. I even look for fresh poop before locating blind. I do not like blinds with doors that pop up and flare birds before the first shot. I am a minimalist. I do more scouting than shooting anymore. One thing I have learned over the years is that on this continent, the further North you hunt, the easier the birds are to decoy. Most birds get schooled on their migration south. I pay no attention to weather when I hunt. Lots of old wives tales in my opinion. I hunt when I can.Waterfowl eat when they are hungry. Spinners do seem to shy geese but intermittent flagging gets their attention. Why does it seem like birds always come to a pit blind when someone is out taking a whiz? Go figure If I am not getting the close shots when hunting, I move the decoys til I do. It's a long journey,keep learning. Field hunting is a gift to Old Waterfowlers. Good Luck

Drakes Landing likes this.