Field duck call

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by Action, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Action

Action Elite Refuge Member

i am looking for someone that knows how to tune a duck call to get a really quiet low end for field hunting? I hunted with a guy who had a DR-85 that he sanded down the reed to have a really soft sounding low end when working ducks in tight. I know if they are in tight you otta be shooting but this call is also deadly over water to give the birds a little more Subtlety than they are a custome to. I have not found one out of the box so I reaching out for those guys who have reworked their calls by sanding reeds ect. I have tried and just can not get it dialed in.

2. mpkowal

mpkowal Senior Refuge Member

The old Olts were great for this,but those the old days.I would call Echo and get a wood timber,depending on what wood you prefer and tell them your plan for the call and they should be able to hook you up,pretty reasonably.If a new call is not in your budget,I am sure someone here will know how to help.

3. Action

I run a timber but what I'm looking for is a custom jod to get a really quiet call for field hunting. I just can't get the reed sanded and trimmed just right for this. The last I hunted with my friend he had a simple and cheap DR-85 sound like no other call I have heard in the field.

4. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

If a call will run with light air and you can deliver light air, you can get real quiet.

5. Action

I have not found one "out of the box" as quiet as the custom tuned DR-85.

6. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

I did some work on a $2.00 giveaway call from a DU dinner and if I lost it, I would just sit down and cry. It is so light, a 10-15 mph wind will start the reed vibrating. By controlling the air, it will get up and wail but it is easy to over blow.
    If the reed is dog eared, try rounding it and "lightly" sand from there. I used an emery board.

7. jrode237

jrode237 Elite Refuge Member

Funny thing about the wind comment....a few weeks back in NODAK my call (an RM Alpha) turned into the wind while picking up birds and it actually made noise. Fwiw, both my Alpha and CWF will run and run well on minimal air. As does my Lares Hybrid and Powers Impulse. For being notoriously "loud" and "ducky" calls they are able to make actual duck noises with minimal air. So to the OP, I would certainly recommend any of those 4 mentioned.

8. Cedarlakeforge

Cedarlakeforge Refuge Member

stumpjumper helped me a lot with my macrohen. You will find him on here. Look at my macrohen discussion on duck and goose calls.

9. EWUEagles

EWUEagles Senior Refuge Member

I would just contact stumpjumper. His calls are awesome. Action if you're around the Spokane area anytime soon I have a couple you could try. His pothole call is supposed to be a lot quieter than the CWF so that might be the perfect call for you but I bet if it isn't he would get it dialed in for you.