Field plantings

Discussion in 'Mississippi Flyway Forum' started by MadMan, Oct 15, 2014.

1. MadMan

MadMan Refuge Member

I have a question. If the landowner has already harvested beans from the field and field has been cultivated again ready to plant, what would he plant this time of year ?

This is a field I have hunted a few times that still had some left over beans when we flooded it, but I rode by this field last week and it was harvested and looked like it was ready to plant but I cannot figure out what he is going to plant.

I am no delta farmer, only know about sugar cane.

2. Agua

Agua Senior Refuge Member

He's likely just prepped it for the spring and not planting anything. The only thing I can think of a farmer would plant this time of year would be collards / turnips.

3. MadMan

MadMan Refuge Member

Well if that field is prepped for the spring and he floods it for the season, then no crops, no ducks!

4. teul2

teul2 Senior Refuge Member

As said, most farmers pick, then prep the fields for next year right after. Saves them time in the spring. If they did plant something, it would most likely be winter wheat. If that's the case, there won't be any flooding the field this winter.

5. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

prolly plant winter wheat. if he did he ain't gonna flood it.

6. MadMan

MadMan Refuge Member

thanks for the tips. This particular field has always had beans planted so we will see. I have seen similar issues with another field that started growing some wild millet or close to it after bean harvesting. We did have that field flooded and it was a very good field for most of the season.