Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Filming hunts ??

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by jthomp01, Feb 15, 2017.

1. jthomp01

jthomp01 Refuge Member

My GF got me a TomTom Bandit for Christmas, so I took it out with me this past weekend and tried it out.

What do you guys think are the best angles to film. I feel like Snows are the hardest to record from a stationary mount because they come in so vertically. I just had it sitting on a MOJO pole behind us.

I'm going to pick up a Hero4 Silver tonight to try and get a second angle also. Maybe facing us ? Or barrel mount ?

Thoughts ?

Threw this together few nights ago. Realized I need to beef up my PC to do any video editing ! Haha

2. spring man

spring man Senior Refuge Member

I think it looked pretty damn good

3. spring man

spring man Senior Refuge Member

Did the battery last all day long?

4. jthomp01

jthomp01 Refuge Member

Thanks man. It did not. I turned it on and off when birds were working. I have one of those portable cell phone chargers with USB connection that I charged it half way through with. It'll shoot 2.7k30fps for about 2.5 hrs. I think it will shoot 1080p60fps for over 3 hours.

The GoPro has interchangeable batteries so I will be able to let it run non stop and just swap batteries when it dies. This will help because I won't have to have it right beside me to turn on and off.

5. Juvie Juke Box

Juvie Juke Box Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

Looks pretty awesome to me, you guys had a good shoot! Just fyi the Yi Action 4k Cam records just as good as a hero 4 for about half the cost. The angle you have on that video is about the most ideal angle IMO, side angles and facing the shooter angles just end up looking goofy most of the time.

6. Drundel

Drundel Elite Refuge Member

Glad I'm not the only one that says, Ok take these two, NO NO wait for bigger group!

Looks good to me. FYI, you won't like a gopro on the gun barrel, they just aren't meant for that. I think your angle was perfect for your decoying action. If I had two like that on a remote, I'd put one like you did and one out in front near a speaker facing straight up.

7. jthomp01

jthomp01 Refuge Member

Luckily I found a guy selling a Hero4 Silver for cheap. I have seen read the reviews on those cameras, Juvie. They have really good reviews. I wouldn't have even thought about picking up a GoPro if the price wasn't so good.

Drundel, it happens more frequently than I'd like to admit. Haha I'll get greedy and about 75% of the time it bites us in the rear and I get the "should have shot" talks afterwards. Haha

8. negooseman

negooseman Senior Refuge Member

I know nothing about filming but that was one of the better ones I've watched of snow goose hunting as far as the quality of video once I zoomed it bigger. Can't stand the ones on gun barrels for the most part, way too much moving around. I'd keep doing the way you are.

9. DaPutts

DaPutts Senior Refuge Member

Nice video. I laughed out loud for the simple fact all of us snow goose hunters have been there... wait wait wait... 2 mins later, whelp we messed that up.

Thanks for sharing the video I like the quality and angle also.

10. jthomp01

jthomp01 Refuge Member

Thanks guys. I'll try and figure something else out for the 2nd camera. I agree sometimes barrell shoots look weird, but other times its cool to get a good view of the bird being shot.

Hopefully heading back to Mizzou or Western IL this weekend, ill give it another go.