Filson pants for upland

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by 480/277y, Apr 19, 2016.

1. 480/277y

480/277y Senior Refuge Member

which ones tou using and how do you like them pros and cons. Debating between the double tin cloth,double hunting pants and the shelter pants. Would like to get one pair that would cover all season or are you better off with chaps and dress accordingly?

2. hankyorke

hankyorke Elite Refuge Member

I've had the double tin, double hunting, and the old 775 (dry tin pants with waxed tin facing). Double hunting pants are my favorites.

My all time favorites are the old Wick all nylon overalls. Look up Dan's hunting and you find them.

3. 480/277y

480/277y Senior Refuge Member

The Wick's are what I am using now. But they are about wore out.... :)

4. hankyorke

hankyorke Elite Refuge Member

When I was looking for some I was directed to Dans hunting gear, or something like that. Apparently they bought all the patterns, etc from Wicks and use the same nylon.

5. Big Sky

Big Sky Senior Refuge Member

I have a set of the tin cloth chaps. They are heavy duty and I only wear them when I know the cover is going to be nasty thick. Other than that they are too heavy and hot for me.

6. Constructeur

Constructeur Senior Refuge Member

I don't think there is such a thing as a pant that is briar proof, snake proof (at least knee down) yet dries quickly on those dew soaked mornings or the days that burst into a hot t-shirt afternoon and wears 'light.' I am all ears if someone tells me I'm wrong though...
    Anyhow, I just wear the relatively cheap Carhartt or Dickies tan duck material pants for now and on hot days have a change of lighter pants in the rig. To be honest though, I'm always so in the moment and focused on the dog, I've never once thought about how I wish I had a different pair of britches on.

7. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I have Filson chaps and the double tin-cloth (previously with wax).

Were I to choose between the two, I would go with the pants. The chaps are just not comfortable to me and I feel encumbered (although I have worn that as a special request for my wife).

Here are the issues I have with either.
    • They are heavy and hot to wear (especially in the mild temperatures of California). If I need these pants, I am usually walking a long ways, and even on brisk mornings I would up a good sweat with them.
    • They are protective, but they protect me from stuff I would not want my dog(s) in. I have walked through brush that ends up tearing up the dogs (especially eyes and nose areas).
    • Difficult to wash. Washing the pants takes the wax off, which does seem to decrease the effectiveness of brush protection.
    I ended up going with some Carhartts and Dickies... Protective enough from most stuff, but lets me know when I get into stuff that will hurt the dogs. A light lighter and more comfortable to wear as well. I'd give a solid edge to the Carhartts.

I also like the Wranglers with the brush protective guard. Unfortunately, the only pair I had only lasted about a season (of heavy hunting bad terrain).

Gonna' look up Dan's Hunting Gear though...

8. pbd

pbd Senior Refuge Member