Finally found my rolling feed...

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by Paul Tidwell, May 22, 2019.

1. Paul Tidwell

Paul Tidwell Refuge Member

Like many others, I was frustrated with my inability to "roll" the feed (tried about 10 years). I had buddies that could do it practically the first time they ever picked up a call (chumps!!:mad:), so I finally chalked it up to some anatomy issue, tongue shape or something... But about a year ago, I took a different approach to training, isolated my problem, and now I can do it well. I would like to share what I've learned.

Granted, the rolling feed is multidimensional, so there is no single universal issue, but I suspect my problem was not unique, and so the solution I offer probably isn't either.

We've all heard something like this, "pick a two syllable word like, ticka, digga, chugga, etc., Repeat it slowly, build speed over time."

I had to quit thinking of it as a two syllable word, and instead, think of it as two one syllable words. For instance, I found I could peck/cluck with a "ti ti ti" sound quickly and easily, and could do short 2-3 note bursts of ticka (but never a continuous roll).

However, my tongue always felt awkward, clumsy, and inconsistent when trying to peck/cluck with the "ka" sound, at least in comparison to the "ti."

Previously, for years, I just dismissed this with thinking "I cluck with the "ti" just fine, and it's easier, so forget the "ka." Little did I know that I was stifling the development of the tongue coordination needed to execute a continuous roll...

One day, lamenting that I would never be able to compete, it finally dawned on me that perhaps, my "ka" just couldn't keep up with my "ti."

So I stepped out in faith and started drilling "ka." What could it hurt? So, ka ka, ka ka, ka ka ka. Sets of two, then three, up to 10 or twelve. Still awkward and clumsy. It took weeks to build speed and precision, but it came. I would also mix in alternating "sets" of "ti" and "ka." Ti ti ti ti, ka ka ka ka, ti ti, ka ka, ti ti, ka ka ka ka ka ka, ti ti ti ti ti ti... you get the point. Clucked out the rhythms of songs (especially a fiddle tunes) with "ka." I would begin and end each session with my best roll attempts to sort of monitor progress.

After a month or two, I could tell I was getting better, which was exciting, but I never realized how far I had progressed until I finally recorded myself. I couldn't believe what I was hearing! It was like listening to a comp caller! All that to say, I recommend recording yourself to more accurately monitor your progress. Especially if you're impatient or easily discouraged. You may surprise yourself.

So if you haven't tried this approach, don't give up just yet. Find (or develop) two phrases that you can cluck with. Drill the weaker one until it is no longer the weaker one. THEN stick them together. Build speed.

Last bit of advice, eliminate issues with the variability/capability of the call, buy an RM.:tu

callinfowl likes this.
  2. DrakeStar

DrakeStar Elite Refuge Member

Care to post a short video of your great revelation ?

3. Florida Cracker

Florida Cracker Refuge Member

Wow....I thought I was slow in learning to do the feeding call. . took me 3 years til it finally hit....from then on....no problem..the brain remembers.

4. Paul Tidwell

Apparently 1:55 is not short enough... What's the time limit? Or is there something I'm missing?

5. DrakeStar

DrakeStar Elite Refuge Member

I haven't a clue,never thought of posting a video and what all is involved doing so.
    You might ask Big Daddy Gaddy for advice,hes posted a few on here lately. Good luck

6. aecrowell

aecrowell Senior Refuge Member

Record it with your phone then post it on youtube. Grab the tube link and post the link here in the body of your message.

callinfowl and Paul Tidwell like this.
  7. Paul Tidwell

Thanks! The guy in this video does a great job demonstrating the two individual sounds that are the basis for the roll.

My only contribution to the "theory," if you want to call it that, is that one of those two sounds is likely the limiting factor in one's ability to roll. If you can do one better than the other, that's a good place to focus on.

In my experience, every instructional aid overlooks this as a potential hangup for building speed. I think many of us are prone to lean on whichever sound is easiest and shy away from the one that is difficult.

8. Paul Tidwell

I'm happy it clicked for you. Some people seem to "naturally" get it with enough practice, others pick it up right away. Still others, like myself, will never get it without fixing some foundational aspect of the technique.

callinfowl and DrakeStar like this.
  9. Big Daddy Gaddy

Big Daddy Gaddy Elite Refuge Member

I didn’t want to start posting stuff on YouTube, so I just searched for video hosting sites and Vimeo was super easy. I only did it because unless someone is a “known” contest caller you have no idea if you’re reading the opinion of someone competent or a hack that is simply regurgitating information. A soundfile either adds weight or takes away credibility. I wish it was mandatory.:l

I’ve heard people call for the first time after reading them gum bump about it online and was left scratching my head. Had the opposite happen too. I expected Callinfowl to be absolutely terrible based on the internet trash and the guy can actually run a call. You just never know.

callinfowl and Paul Tidwell like this.
  10. Paul Tidwell

:amen Couldn't agree more. My proof's in progress :tu