Finally got the wetlands re-seeded.

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by Cappy_TX, May 1, 2008.

1. Cappy_TX

Cappy_TX Elite Refuge Member

I'm afraid to go look, Todd. The wetlands here next to our house is smaller and more shallow but I was able to disc all of it but maybe a 40 yard square area with the small tractor Thursday! Waiting for the first rains and will seed it with Japanese millet. As far as the recent rains are concerned, collectively it barely even registered on our gauge. :(

2. mobowhunter

mobowhunter Senior Refuge Member

Looks good! We seeded our lot last Monday - just before we got 3" of rain in 24 hours.

3. Cappy_TX

Another 10 days without rain's gone by and here's what the wetlands looks like now ...

[​IMG]

My 7 year old grandson Jay standing in almost 3 feet of water when the area is full ...

[​IMG]

Looking from the north at one of the drain lines through the main berm. The normal water level has that pipe covered by at least 24". Notice how hardy that durn water primrose is? I'll spray glyphosate on it as soon as the rain is out of the forecast again. Wow that seems weird to type!

[​IMG]

We've not gotten even a trace from the last three Dallas area rain events but might get lucky this week. Forecast is looking that way.

4. notnarbt

notnarbt Senior Refuge Member

Man we've got think 2-3 inches at my swamp the past 3 days......hopefully your luck will turn around

5. notnarbt

notnarbt Senior Refuge Member

well how the rain treat you this go around!

6. TEAMGTG

TEAMGTG Senior Refuge Member

Thanks for sharing Cappy! I sure love to see people take pride in wildlife management....you've done a great job; I'll put in a rain prayer for ya, so you and your grandson can hopefully enjoy some great hunts together!

TAD

7. Powerstrokn247

Powerstrokn247 Elite Refuge Member

Maybe you should try a rain dance or something. We need some rain in NC also. It is august so we'll see if sept. is a little wetter.

This is why i planted early, yes i almost have a mature product in August but I do have a product that the drought didnt kill.

Good luck, keep praying

8. Cappy_TX

No pictures until tomorrow but the rain gauge here at the house (5 miles from the wetlands) registered 6-1/2" since last weekend. That should've brought us up qite abit. I'll head up there in the morning and have an opportunity to try the new (2006) 6 speed 4WD Jeep on the property with stock rims and tires. Got a couple real gnarly spots to test it in ... places that got the Kawasaki Mule stuck twice in the past. I've been told that dropping the tire pressure down to 20 psi will work wonders for those Goodyears in mud.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Cappy_TX

When does 6-1/2" of rain = a 3 foot plus increase in wetlands depth? Last three days did it for us. That and engineering it right in the first place so that all of the surface flow from the 300 surrounding acres all comes through our 11 acres of wetlands and out the overflow. We are now filled.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank thee, Oh Lord, for this water and Thy Tealie Birds we are about to receive.

10. Wes

Wes Senior Refuge Member

Cappy that's great news. I've got a lease a few miles from you in Lamasco, hopefully I filled up also.