Finally got the wetlands re-seeded.

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by Cappy_TX, May 1, 2008.

1. knees

knees Elite Refuge Member

There's nothing more satisfying to a duck hunter than seeing all that water over all that food! Good Luck

2. duckhawk-55

duckhawk-55 Sponsor Sponsor

Good on you Cappy. I'm hoping for some spin off from "Fay"

3. Okvet

Okvet Elite Refuge Member

the only "bad" part of this early heavy rains is will the food still be present once duck season starts. We also got hit with 5+ inches but I left my drains open as to not flood the food yet. Hope it wasn't a mistake. Plus I still have a lot of sorghum and milo that hasn't matured.

Your place looks great!:tu

4. Cappy_TX

Cappy_TX Elite Refuge Member

Todd ... here's some more that you couldn't see in the two pics above. The water is actually a minimum of 6"-8" deep at least 100 yards out from the open water showing. The early Teal just love those spots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. notnarbt

notnarbt Senior Refuge Member

6. ericDC

ericDC Elite Refuge Member

It would be pretty sweet to have a place like that one day. I can't imagine how rewarding all that work is.

7. kstatemallards

kstatemallards Elite Refuge Member

Thats looking sweet Cappy. You dont know how lucky you are to have your own property like that. good job

8. Cappy_TX

Cappy_TX Elite Refuge Member

Oh yes I do! I hunted public lands for more than 45 years. I also used to get permission to hunt almost any farm property where I stopped and asked. That began changing 20 years ago when more and more land owers learned that they could profitably lease their property to "outfitters" rather than let individuals hunt it for free. As the available private properties diminished, I had to join the ranks as a lease member at a couple in order to continue hunting there.

About the only thing worse than running into slob hunters on public lands is having real jerks on your same lease who make hunting there just not worth it to you, your family and your dawgs. So you might do what I did ... take some of the money that you've worked a lifetime for, buy your own land in a decent hunting area and then build your own wetlands and honey holes.

Some days the hunting is very good. Some days we get skunked. But EVERY day I hunt during season (9 out of 10 ten) the hunting is terrific because I only hunt with the best folks in the world ... my wife, our two dawgs and an occasional invited dawg with their owner. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. NJDelt

NJDelt Refuge Member

I hope to one day retire the way you have. You have one beautiful piece of property and some great looking dawgs. Is it weird that I want to retire and I'm only 23??:no

10. kstatemallards

kstatemallards Elite Refuge Member

You got a great wife. Mine wont ever go hunting with me, haha.

I'm only 27 but I'm trying to save my pennies to buy some land one day.