Finally got the wetlands re-seeded.

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by Cappy_TX, May 1, 2008.

1. Cappy_TX

Cappy_TX Elite Refuge Member

Allow an old man to offer some free advice. I was younger than both of you when I saw several family members die before they could retire. I pledged not to let that happen to me if I could avoid it. I decided that I wanted to retire by age 50 so I'd have (hopefully) a dozen or so years left to enjoy hunting, fishing, gun dawgs, golf and family, full time. I was 22 at the time.

It's simple math from there. In my case I set a goal of having a home free and clear, cars and toys paid for, no personal debt and 1 million or more in cash in the bank and/or investments. That amounted to a total of 1.2 Million (that was in 1963) I would have to accumulate in the next 28 years in order to reach my goal by age 50. 1.2 Mil divided by 28 years or $42,857 net after tax SAVED each year!

Yikes! I knew that wasn't going to happen working for wages for somebody else. I didn't have a college degree, didn't marry money and wouldn't inherit any. So the choice was made for me. Work twice as hard as the next guy, learn everything possible about the business that I was in for not more than 10 more years and then start my own business ... and work even harder. I did just that.

27 years later I sold the business I had started and ended up retiring at age 49. I worked very hard. I was very lucky. I noticed along the way that "the harder I worked, the luckier I got."

:tu

2. mrmallerd

mrmallerd Elite Refuge Member

Cap, that was some very good advise & probably should be put somewhere as a sticky. I am a CFP & Tax Accountant specializing in Retirement Planning. I preach this on a daily basis, & I could not preach it much better :tu

3. kazz

kazz Refuge Member

seems too be the case in all things that I am in

I am not quite retired but beleve me if I am working after 50 it will be my choice

4. kazz

kazz Refuge Member

[
    ! I was very lucky. I noticed along the way that "the harder I worked, the luckier I got."

:tu[/QUOTE]

seems too be the case in all things that I am in I am not quite retired but beleve me if I am working after 50 it will be my choice

5. Cappy_TX

We brushed the blinds at the wetlands today and while there put out a dozen mixed Teal and Mallard dekes. Within a short time we had two groups of BWs drop in to enjoy some fresh greens.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Powerstrokn247

Powerstrokn247 Elite Refuge Member

Still looking good Cap, Its nice to see a well engineered place. So many people just start pushing dirt and praying for rain. It dosnt quite work like that and you know that. Looks great and good job:tu

7. Cappy_TX

Thanks for the kind words. Here's a couple other ponds on our home property. We just put dekes on them yesterday afternoon. I may end up hunting those on Sunday since the dawgs and I can walk to them as long as the winds are under 50 MPH. :eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Powerstrokn247

Powerstrokn247 Elite Refuge Member

Those deeks in the last picture sure look real, where did you get those?

lol
    ;)

9. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior Refuge Member

Great stuff there Cappy!