Finally started Decoy Maintenance

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by NW BIRDHUNTER, Jul 6, 2018.

1. NW BIRDHUNTER

NW BIRDHUNTER Senior Refuge Member

Had some spare time on the 4th of July, so I started my decoy repair and touch up on some of my blocks. A little boring and tedious at first, but after I got a couple dozen done I was very glad I'm getting it done. It's amazing how much better the decoys look in the field with just a freshening up of the white and black. When the cold, rain, wind, ice, and migratory birds show up I will really be glad I did. Anyways days are getting shorter now and It won't be long before we will be out in the field. It will be here faster than you think. Can't imagine having lived my life without being a waterfowl hunter. Hope everybody has a good waterfowl season this fall and hope everyone's dreams come true!

Billy Bob and black brant like this.
  2. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I have about 200 that need new rigging and hot glue in all the pellet holes ( I probably hit 15+ decoys per season) :l :l :z. I'm dreading it now but once I get started I always have fun.

3. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

I've been a waterfowler since I was a tiny kid----60+ years, so I don't know a life without it !
    I'm working on decoys now too, and just restle coated my first ones----An easier job and less
    messy than I had thought. Makes for durable decoys and enhances the paint job too.
    Just got my order of Tanglefree cord and torpedo weights too, so new decoys are going to
    be rigged up soon. Getting impatient with this blazing hot summer heat, and I live in far
    northern Minnie----up near Canada.

Ringbill

4. TooTall

TooTall Elite Refuge Member

Getting a late start on mine this year as well. Just been too damn hot. I'm buckling down this weekend though.

Quickest/easiest way I've found to rejuvenate decoys is a scrub with ammonia and dish soap. I'll then repaint anything that needs it. Surprising how often I think I'm going to need to repaint, but after washing they look fine.

5. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

Worth every drop of sweat now. Re-painted a dozen cheap plastic ones- hit them with the krylon clear coat as was recommended here. They should last the season and then some. Every time I look at my blocks sitting on the shelves I get a hankering for November, and then I realize teal season is well before that, and I smile.

Ringbill likes this.
  6. marshmob

marshmob Elite Refuge Member

Its suppose to be around 100 today in the Midwest but finished late last night with the first round of flocking some silos! Also if anyone is in the area please stop by with more beer

TooTall likes this.
  7. TooTall

TooTall Elite Refuge Member

9A28D135-053B-427E-BD6B-EDDF8C34CE75.jpeg 807A4ACE-404E-4ACC-9F9A-95A86F7127B8.jpeg BF6A4C0D-644C-48AA-8118-3D08575BC4F6.jpeg Got some repaints knocked out this weekend. Just gotta finish up my mallards now.

8. Wareagle1

Wareagle1 Senior Refuge Member

9. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Very nice job there, TOO TALL !
    Our season up here in northern Minnie starts in 2 months
    That's our general duck season, since our DNR won't let us hunt teal.
    We raise a ton of teal. too
    I'm restle coating a few decoys here and there and repainting and re-rigging others.
    Painted some duck boats in the heat, so I'm just picking away on a few things
    here and there.
    Still a lot of hot weather to suffer thru.

Ringbill

10. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

I have so many decoys that I started rotating out the old ones and put newer ones to use. Sell off the old and buy new. going thru a re rigging with new lines and weights at the moment. You know the saying... "The waterfowler who dies with the most decoys...wins"!

musher and TooTall like this.