Decoy Forum Sponsors

Finally started Decoy Maintenance

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by NW BIRDHUNTER, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Guthook

Guthook Senior Refuge Member

TT,

Are you making any grey's, brown's with those by mixing? I love that paint but haven't mixed them or bought any colors but black and white.

Thanks!

2. JoJer

JoJer Senior Refuge Member

Every year it seemed I was starting out to do "a little touch up" and ended up repainting 5 dzn dekes. After the last time, I swore I'd never do that again, that I'd trash, sell or donate anything I couldn't hunt and replace it with new. So far, I'm sticking to it.

3. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

I went through my 300 or so decoys last week. I had pressured washed them for most part right after picking them up, rewashed a little and then I just touch up the white and black with rattle can and as couple hundred are pintails a few needed heads touched up which have rattle can for as well but use a brush for white strip up the head. Took me about 5 hours to get through everything. A lot are fairly new so no touch up at all.

4. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

My maintenance consists of putting them in the bag the day before the season starts.

PorkChop and Mean Gene like this.
  5. TooTall

TooTall Elite Refuge Member

Yes. Almost all of my greys are a combination of grey, brown, black, and white.

IMO the straight flat grey looks too “blue” to me. Mixing in just a little brown and black helps get rid of that, then I use white to balance it back to the correct shade if needed.

PorkChop likes this.
  6. DANNY NEWELL

DANNY NEWELL Elite Refuge Member

I just finished re rigging all of my decoys.Most of them still had wire from 20 some years
    ago.I also made them longer.Nothing worse then having the river come up 5 foot and
    my wires aren't long enough.

I also patched a few and touched some up.I bought some new ones and am trying
    to sell some older ones.
    Earlier this summer I rebuilt my boat blind.
    It makes the hot summer go a little faster.

To me this is part of the whole experience of duck hunting.

Danny

Billy Bob likes this.
  7. phutch30

phutch30 New Member

I picked up 3 doz old carrylite bluebills over the summer to make up a couple diver longlines. I waited a little too long to start the repainting, but its coming along as archery season permits. Waiting on some paint to finnish the hens and change the redheads head color

thumbnail_IMAG0225-20180920-150349573.jpg
    IMAG0224-20180920-150419542.jpg