Fine Tuning Call

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by BTK, Nov 30, 2017.

1. BTK

BTK New Member

I have a questions about tuning an MVP that I am having trouble with. It seems that I only get the sound I want out of it when the cork is wet. Once it dries, its a bit dull sounding and loses its rasp and ability to ring. The cork also seems as though it slides in a bit easier than it does in my RNT Original and Short Barrel. Any ideas on how to correct this? I figured that I may have to send it in to the factory to either be adjusted or replaced. Any fixes in the mean time? Since we are about to get some awesome weather with 20+ north winds and freezing temps here pretty soon. I figured RNT won't have it back to me in time and I hate to be without it.

Also forgot to mention that I started using Echo cork and my own cut reeds from River Mallard (if that matters much).

Thanks for you help!

2. rcatron

rcatron New Member

Sounds like its time for a new cork. From what others have said it should fit snug into the insert even without the reed

BTK likes this.
  3. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

I guess it could be that individual insert's cork slot is cut a bit wide, but fresh Echo cork and River Mallard reeds are a nice snug fit in every RNT I own, to include three MVPs. If you're using fresh Echo cork and it's not snug, I'd want to have the shop take a look at the insert's slot.

BTK likes this.
  4. Rickard

Rickard Refuge Member

My RNTs like the Echo corks as well. Have a small variety of woods and acrylics and I even thought my kingwood cutter got a bit brighter after I changed the factory cork to an Echo. I remember a thread that Rick suggested those and bought a surplus of corks and reeds. Unless quality drops, I really like how these perform in most all of my way too many collection.

BTK likes this.
  5. goosenazi

goosenazi Elite Refuge Member

Cut another small chunk of reed. Place under cork.

BTK likes this.
  6. DuckNoobie

DuckNoobie Senior Refuge Member

As Rick said, may want to get it looked at if Echo’s cork isn’t thick enough. I actually have to sand a bit off of Echo’s cork to get it to fit in my cork slots.

BTK likes this.
  7. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

Only owned one call that used cork. Total pain in the rear.

BTK likes this.
  8. DuckNoobie

DuckNoobie Senior Refuge Member

What are you using now?

9. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

O have a lot of Echo calls, some with cork and a couple with a hard runner material,I believe it is called Sanoprene,I don't remember where I bought it,maybe Echo.But it seems to hold tighter into 6he call.I will try and see if I can find it.
    I should have asked Echo as I talked to them this morning.I finally got to order my Pure Meat that I been Needing.Yay.