Finished missouri season

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by Sunklands, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Sunklands

Sunklands Senior Refuge Member

image.jpg image.jpg He shot this jake on the second week with his single shot 20 gauge. I killed my second bird with my '74 Bear Kodiak Hunter recurve.

image.jpg My oldest boy killed a jake first day with a 6" beard and a split second later I shot a gobbler on the run, with the old H&R 10 gauge.

2. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

Nice 10ga.

3. soiltester

soiltester Elite Refuge Member

Sweet hunts & pics and congrats to you both!!:tu

I remember well my old Bear Kodiak and what an H&R10 looked like :doh

4. Sunklands

I've been shooting 10 gauge on turkey since I was 14 and the gun in the pic is the same gun. I've tried BPS 10's, remington SP 10's and shoot a browning gold 10 for ducks and geese now but for turkeys the old H&R 10 with a .690 Indian Creek is the best I've found.

5. Sunklands

I switched from hunting with a compound several years ago and decided to take up traditional archery. I shoot a couple different recurves and long bows. No sights, no rest, no release, and all business.

6. Dan Mallia

Dan Mallia Elite Refuge Member

Very cool!

7. SB2MAG

I agree about the 10ga. Here's this years. Missed with the recurve at 8 yards. Switched weapons. Got him the NEF 10ga at 13 yards. Fixed full choke in mine. Been shooting turkeys with it since the 90s.

image.jpeg

stevena198301 likes this.
  8. Sunklands

If you ever want a screw in choke don't be afraid of taking it to a reliable gunsmith and have about 2" removed from the barrel, have it bored and tapped to browning invector threads. Mine was originally "full" which I believe was .735 ???? I had it cut down and tapped to except a Carlson .710. It improved the range and pattern of the gun tremendously. This was years ago before the few of aftermarket 10 gauge chokes hit the market. I heard about the Indian Creek .690 and wanted my barrel shorter on my H&R anyways so I had it cut down again and tapped to Browning threads. The .690 was another leap forward in range and pattern. I like'em close and have shot them even with 3" .410, but nothing compares to the recurve bow, though there's alot less opportunities.

9. Sunklands

If you ever want a screw in choke don't be afraid of taking it to a reliable gunsmith and have about 2" removed from the barrel, have it bored and tapped to browning invector threads. Mine was originally "full" which I believe was .735 ???? I had it cut down and tapped to except a Carlson .710. It improved the range and pattern of the gun tremendously. This was years ago before the few of aftermarket 10 gauge chokes hit the market. I heard about the Indian Creek .690 and wanted my barrel shorter on my H&R anyways so I had it cut down again and tapped to Browning threads. The .690 was another leap forward in range and pattern. I like'em close and have shot them even with 3" .410, but nothing compares to the recurve bow, though there's alot less opportunities.

10. SB2MAG

My gun shoots a good pattern out to 60 yards with Remington 4s. Last year I had two Toms walk in and the closer one stopped at 67 paces. So I shot him with the 10ga then as I walked up to him his head moved so I finished him with the .410.

image.jpeg

Thanks for the advice, I've shot about 60 or 70 turkeys with the gun over the years. I don't want to over think the choke thing as it will be detrimental to my 75yard goose gun. Plus 60 yards is good enough and about the energy limit of lead 4s. For windy days I'll use Hevi-shot 4s.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
    Sunklands likes this.