Finished works???

Discussion in 'Christian Forum' started by skiebuster, Nov 9, 2009.

1. skiebuster

skiebuster Elite Refuge Member

Well, I have been wondering for a long while about this finished works doctrine being preached.

I want to know how can the finished works save anyone by them doing nothing but accepting Jesus in their hearts ?

And I would like to see scripture showing finished works saving a person by them saying a "acceptance speech" to Jesus.

2. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

It is not an accident that the thief was next to Christ and that God bothered to have it recorded in the Bible.

3. quackerblaster

quackerblaster Senior Refuge Member

Skie,
    No offense, but you aren't open to any scripture that goes against your beliefs. So many people have already shown you scriptures that say that salvation is by grace and faith. Read the "right division" thread, there are some in there.

4. deadeye10

deadeye10 Senior Refuge Member

There is no such thing as a "finished works" doctrine in Scripture. So you won't have anyone showing you Scripture to back it up. Like QB said, you love to say that you believe "all" of the bible yet when Scripture says that we are saved by grace through faith, you won't harmonize that with all your salvation verses.

Of course it's all irrelevant anyway because no one can become truly saved in your belief. We are all just in a "saved state". All of the works that you are doing could be a big waste of time for you. If you screw up in the end, you can't go to heaven anyway according to what you believe. Have you ever read all the passages that give the believer hope, joy, peace, tranquility, etc? Do you think it is possible for a true believer to have these things when in the back of their mind they know that one screw up and they end up in hell? I can tell you it's impossible to have hope, joy or peace when you have no confidence that you are going to heaven.

And like I said in the other thread, you already acknowledged in the "Curse of the Law" thread that you yourself cannot keep the Law. You have no way of staying the course and avoiding that curse because you have a sin nature. Your sin nature will not allow you to become perfect in God's eyes. (You also acknowledged that fact)

So you have sinned before a holy God. (You have already acknowledged this) You have already said you can't keep His Law. The curse will send you to hell. You know you can't be perfect as God commands. (You already acknowledged this as well) You can attempt to try and do enough works to save you, (you know you can't) and it was, is, and always will be; *futile*. So what are you going to do as you sit condemned before a holy God? (I asked a lot of questions in this post but this is the one I want you to answer)

5. Rubberhead

I know that I'm not going to tell him about all the "good" things that I've done.

I have a great anecdote about the one and only time I ever stood before a judge (for a speeding ticket). I'll have to share it with you guys when I have time.

6. okie drake

okie drake Elite Refuge Member

Not exactly related to this particular thread, but the last time the above was brought up, I responded with the following. That garnered no further response:

7. Rubberhead

okie drake,
    I think you and I agree way more than we realize but we must speak totally different languages.

Read his question. The answer I gave was the answer to his question.

8. Rubberhead

okiedrake,
    Sorry, I didn't realize that I left you hanging:

My answers:

I don't know.
    I don't know.
    I'm not sure what you mean.
    All salvation comes from Christ's completed works.

Remember...
    If there was another way to Heaven, Christ's completed works would not have been necessary or redundant.

All I know about the theif is that he is in Heaven and it was from the Grace of God through Christ.

9. okie drake

okie drake Elite Refuge Member

I didn't in any way say you didn't answer his question. You do however have a pattern of not answering mine, as has happened yet again with your above post.

Let me be clear, you have no obligation whatsoever to answer my questions. I'd like for you to, and I think beneficial discussion involves such. I also think it's telling that you don't answer them, but you have free will to do whatever you think is appropriate and I don't mean to imply any different.

What I posted is relevant to the answer you gave, whether you choose to acknowledge such or not is completely your business.

10. Rubberhead

okie drake,
    I have answered questions directly and with scripture. I'm really sorry that you have so much trouble understanding. I wish I could help you but you live too far away for me to tutor.